2009 Chevrolet Traverse - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Traverse model:
A very nice vehicle
By Dana Basney on 06/21/09 19:23 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT2 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

As a former Tahoe and Suburban owner we were looking for something more economical, but with much of the flexibility we had enjoyed with our prior SUV. We recently completed a 2,700 mile trip tp Montana and averaged 21 miles per gallon. This car is very quite, smooth and fun to drive. We were quite amazed by the acceleration of the 6 cylinder engine with the car containing 4 adults and the back stacked high with luggage.

I give it a "Yes"
By Giddy-up on 06/20/09 16:47 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Just finished our 2,000 mile family vacation. I agree with the reviews about the hesitating downshift on the transmission. It can be annoying when passing and I'm not towing anything. The ride quality rocks and there is tons of room. I wished I would have sucked it up and gotten the AWD, but I got cheap. DO NOT BUY THIS CAR WITHOUT THE REAR CAMERA. It's a big car with a tiny rear window. If you don't have the camera you just can't see anything.

Traverse a dream
By JOEKATE on 06/15/09 15:55 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LTZ 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I own a Mercedes S 550 and am sorry I did not buy the Traverse first. The Mercedes would still be in Germany after all the issues. The Traverse is a dream and the storage space is unbelievable. Chevy finally gets it.

Buy American
By The New GM on 06/14/09 08:43 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Great Car. High level of quality, similar to a luxury car. Looked at Honda Pilot and Toyota Highlander, the Traverse beat them all. Pilot and Highlander are over-rated. Friends who are owners of these vehicles drove in my Traverse and commented they liked this car better. This could very well be the start of the "New GM."

First Impressions
By UpstateNY on 06/12/09 04:48 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

The Traverse is actually better than I expected. Quiet on the road and you can't tell that the engine is running sometimes unless you check the tach. Wife tried to start it several times while it was running...no problem it locks out the starter. Very good power although apparently the transmission has been optimized for mileage (at 60 mph it's running at only 1600 RPM) so it's slightly sluggish until it downshifts out of 6th gear. The mileage is MUCH better than I expected getting 21-22 mpg in suburban driving and the advertised 24 mpg on the highway. That seems remarkable for such a big car. Overall it's at least the equal of it's competitors such as the Highlander or Pilot.

I SIMPLY LOVE IT!
By Gord T on 06/08/09 10:10 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT1 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

This vehicle has everything I want in a car! Several people have commented on it's looks and functionality. Fun to drive and rides beautifully on the highway. GM has produced a winner here. If they turn out a few more cars of this quality they should have no trouble surviving their tough times.

Love it Love it Love it
By Carol on 05/23/09 19:52 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Traded in my Suburban for Traverse. Have driven Suburbans since 1997...I have never enjoyed a car so much. Gas mileage is 22 on Highway...1 trip to Florida and back...very comfortable. Only one problem...have a burning smell that cannot be located. Seems to be intermittent and 2 dealerships have looked. People stop me all the time to comment on what a great looking vehicle it is. So far, best car I have ever had including 2 Cadillacs.

Make the whole family happy!!!!!!!!!!!
By linda Jakson on 05/18/09 20:17 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT2 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We are a family of 5. Me, my husband and three grown children youngest one is 14 the other 2 twins are 16. So we needed room, my husband Mark was against a mini van and the gas mileages on most suvs are not good. We look at different vehicles for about a month off an on, mostly imports because of their reliabilities. Test drove the Honda Pilot and was about to buy when we saw the Traverse drive by. Read reviews,& went to dealer. Fell in love, At first we were going to buy one with the ench seat in the 2nd because of having 3 kids. Decided on capt's chairs. The kids all have plenty of room and fight over the the 3rd row because they sit in middle & stretch they leg between the capt's chairs.

Great car with a few problems
By Chevyforlife on 05/11/09 20:01 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Have owned car for 3 months, very stylish outside. Have LT1 version, interior seats are very nice though a bit uncomfortable especially for your lower back. No carpet in the back seats, basically a big floor mat latched down. I get 20.2 MPG. My biggest problem with the car is the location of the oil filter. I have changed oil on dozens of vehicles (new and old) but never had to change the filter from the top of the engine. There is not enough room to place a filter wrench on the filter, it took 3 hrs for 3 men to unloose the initial high torqued filter by hand. When the filter was loosened it went all over other components located underneath the filter. Otherwise a great car and roomy.

Chevy Traverse is Dependable 7 Safe
By ChevyLuva on 05/11/09 15:04 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT2 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have owned several new cars, many makes and models and so far the Chevy Traverse is my absolute favorite. It is dependable, safe, modern and roomy. It also looks classy and expensive while still affordable and realistic to own. It perfectly suits the single driver and accommodates the soccer mom transporting kids and groceries! I absolutely adore my vehicle and can't wait to drive it in the snow.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse in VA is:

$123 per month*