Used 2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT1 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Traverse - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Traverse model:

2009 Traverse
By tigger68

2009 Chevrolet Traverse SUV LT1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We bought our traverse in June 2009 and I had one problem with a computer about a year ago. Then October 2011 came around and our check engine light came on. It was something I don't remember. We took it to the dealer and it was the timing chain and it had been recalled. They had the car for 10 days. Then we had the car back one day and I was driving home from work and it started smoking. We attempted to drive to dealer and did not make it. A transmission clamp broke. they fixed it and then we got it back. We had it back in 4 days. The fixed and have had some hesitation and now transmission module is out? Now back we go again! Dealer has been working with us at least!

Favorite Features

Radio--- seating---- lift gate

Suggested Improvements

WARRANTY---- make it 100,000 bumber to bumper because I am out of warranty and am not happy with the fact that I will be making serious repairs when the powertrain is out. I have 47,000 miles on it now and am waiting for them to say it is not covered! I will fight tooth and nail since they had to pull my engine for a timing belt!

Wish I hit reverse before buying Traverse
By mom2x2

2009 Chevrolet Traverse SUV LT1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have been into the dealership 13 times in the past 2 months...nothing but issues with engine and powersteering. Was happy with car but this has thrown me over the edge. Do not feel comfortable driving my family of six in this vehicle. I would not recommend this vehicle to anyone. BEWARE

Suggested Improvements

Engine that works, better quality, more reliable car- otherwise I would like car.

Traverse is junk !
By Chris Robinson

2009 Chevrolet Traverse SUV LT1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

For the past 6 mos, have had nothing but trouble. First the dealer said nothing was wrong. When check engine light came on, they had my car for 3 weeks straight. Then timing chain problem turned into transmission problems. Now, you cant accelerate quickly because the tires spin. So much for traction control. the dealer has replaced the software in my transmission 3-4 times now. i would NOT recommend this garbage of a vehicle to anyone. It's no wonder GM went bankrupt, because their customer service really blows. I have spoken to GM numerous times about these issues, but they don't seem to care. Looks like my GM buying days are over.

Favorite Features

Nothing. Entire vehicle is junk.

Suggested Improvements

Everything

Problems
By chase

2009 Chevrolet Traverse SUV LT1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We looked at all crossovers before buying the vehicle and decided we liked it best. Then the problems came. We have had it in the shop 4 times now. First one of the rear seatbelt latches was broke. Then on a trip to the beach the driver lumbar went out with it inflated all the way. That was comfortable! A couple of months later check engine light came on took it to the shop and after everyone in the world looked at it they determined the timing chains had been stretched. Don't really know if thats possible. Currently its in the shop for the engine skipping while driving of coarse it never does it when they drive it. Wish I could trade it. Who knows what will be next.

Favorite Features

I like the drive and ride and room if I didn't have the problems

Suggested Improvements

Put a Honda or Toyota symbol on the front. Thought I would give Chevy a chance but don't know if they'll get another one.

Same Old GM- Junk
By Dave

2009 Chevrolet Traverse SUV LT1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We bought this vehicle and all I can say is I am officially done with American cars, especially GM. This vehicle has been a problem since the day we bought it. The salesman demoed the fold down seat and it split. They tried to restitch it rather than replace it because GM would not replace it. Window motor problems, trans problems, electrical problems and all we get is grief from the crappy service department and GM. We bought the stain protection for the interior and we are now arguing because they have tried to get two stains out that wont come out but nobody (GM or the chemical supplier) wants to eat the price off all new seat covers. Never again, stay away from GM

Favorite Features

The day I trade it in

Suggested Improvements

Too many to list