2009 Chevrolet Traverse SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Traverse model:
Ridiculous piece of trash
By sherrypisces on 10/22/14 14:22 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Traverse SUV LT1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased my 2009 Traverse used last year and it was exactly what I wanted and needed for my family. Well, from the beginning I had problems with the car. I was experiencing a stalling type of drive. I would be driving along and all of a sudden the car would jerk and go extremely slow almost killing myself and my family. At times the vehicle would jerk and lose all power and shut off in the middle of the highway, street, anywhere! I have put so much money into this vehicle that I am embarrassed to say. I don't know what to do or who to contact because this is not a safe vehicle. Do Not, I repeat, Do Not purchase the 2009 Chevy Traverse EVER!

Horrible 2009 Traverse
By aburgener on 10/06/14 07:13 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Traverse SUV LT1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We have had the Traverse for about 2 years and just on Friday I was driving down a 4 lane highway and it didn't want to shift. Barely, made it home alive and took it to the auto center. They informed me they would not work on it because it would happen again and so when I tried to move it, it would not go in reverse. We have had problems with the power steering and 3 recalls on it. Something is wrong with the 2009 version of this car. My brother had the same problem and when we were at the repair shop the owner said his sister had the same problem. We are getting another estimate because the first one said it was the transmission... if you have money for lots of repair go for it.

Reliable. Period
By loveblues234 on 09/08/14 06:17 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Traverse SUV LS 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this car in 2011 as a 2009 model. Had higher miles in it for the year but that seldomly bothers me considering my driving needs. Terrific car! Have had to fix one thing since 2011 and that was a minor repair. (Actuator ... Controls hot and cold air) Haven't had to jump it, tow it, fix it, absolutely nothing! No joke either! Ridiculously happy with this car! When I need my next, I'll buy another one, wouldn't think twice about it.

many many issues
By nomoregm4me3 on 05/01/14 10:58 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Traverse SUV LS 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

we have own the traverse since its release. we have had timing chain issues, transmission issues, A/C issues, and power steering issues. keep an extended warranty or get ready to fork over some cash for poor design, and poor workmanship.

Steering Shaft defect
By mngirl on 03/28/13 08:53 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Traverse SUV LT2 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Currently there is 51K on my Traverse. I do like it, it fits our family of five perfectly with room to spare. I didn't give the review 5 stars simply because there is always room for improvement. That said, I had a major problem with my steering column recently. While driving the vehicle, I suddenly and with no warning had no control of my tires - zero steering! When the vehicle was hauled to the shop, I was told that the steering shaft was completely dismembered and fell "out of place". Hmm....has this happened to anyone before?

Wish I would have waited for reviews
By teyjay on 09/29/12 14:10 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Traverse SUV LS 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my car new off the lot in 2009. I have had numerous problems with this car since i bought it. Starting with the air conditioning knob which until this day has not been fixed because they can not duplicate the problem. The next would be the trip i took right after we got the car and the water pump blew which left my family of six sitting in the middle of no where with no cell phone access in 90+ degree weather. The car can not stop on a small hill without rolling back. But the one that i am dealing with now is the transmission. The car will not shift into gear, it shuts down on the freeway. It's going back in the shop yet again. Do not waste your hard earned money on this car!

Minivan in disguise
By tvaleri on 09/15/12 14:01 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Traverse SUV LS 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I owned a 2009 for two years. Just sold last week. Hallelujah! Nonetheless, the Traverse drives and handles like a minivan. The plastic around and on the doors interior was already beginning to wear. Wires to a box located under driver's seat were loose and caused the "service airbag" light to display. Worst of all, there is no spare on the LS model. Instead, Chevy equips this vehicle with a mini air pump and some flat tire fixer. Not cool if the tire has a hole in it. The middle row of seats vibrated horribly. The 3rd row wasn't an issue. Glad to be rid of it. No more American made cars for me.

2009 Traverse
By tigger68 on 01/08/12 18:41 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Traverse SUV LT1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We bought our traverse in June 2009 and I had one problem with a computer about a year ago. Then October 2011 came around and our check engine light came on. It was something I don't remember. We took it to the dealer and it was the timing chain and it had been recalled. They had the car for 10 days. Then we had the car back one day and I was driving home from work and it started smoking. We attempted to drive to dealer and did not make it. A transmission clamp broke. they fixed it and then we got it back. We had it back in 4 days. The fixed and have had some hesitation and now transmission module is out? Now back we go again! Dealer has been working with us at least!

Wish I hit reverse before buying Traverse
By mom2x2 on 11/28/11 20:12 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Traverse SUV LT1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have been into the dealership 13 times in the past 2 months...nothing but issues with engine and powersteering. Was happy with car but this has thrown me over the edge. Do not feel comfortable driving my family of six in this vehicle. I would not recommend this vehicle to anyone. BEWARE

satisfied
By larry on 12/02/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Traverse SUV LT2 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have owned this car for 1 year. No problems except standard maintenance.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse Suv in VA is:

$123 per month*