Used 2009 Chevrolet Traverse SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Traverse - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Traverse model:

Most Helpful|
many many issues
By nomoregm4me3

2009 Chevrolet Traverse SUV LS 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

we have own the traverse since its release. we have had timing chain issues, transmission issues, A/C issues, and power steering issues. keep an extended warranty or get ready to fork over some cash for poor design, and poor workmanship.

Favorite Features

size/seating capability. but now that the AC doesnt work, taking the family anywhere is mute.

Suggested Improvements

keep the body style, scrap everything else

Serves our purpose well, but... transmission repair at 117k miles... really?
By asianteacher

2009 Chevrolet Traverse SUV LS 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I am displeased. Our Traverse has been a vehicle that we brought to the dealership most because of recalls, back jobs, and now a shot transmission at just 117k (min $1,500, max 3k+ repair cost)? Our other cars certainly did better! I usually don't complain but we are not happy. I found out that this transmission problem is a common issue, I don't understand why it isn't a recall! We bought this because Americans help Americans especially in GM's dark times. But now we realized, who's going to help us now? We don't have the budget for this now, so our Traverse is sitting in the garage. If you insist in getting this, get an extended warranty.

Favorite Features

It is huge. Fits everything that a family of four + some more needs on outings and lots more for shopping. Fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Since middle seating spaces in 2nd row is narrow, the middle buckle is in the way of your bottom when you sit. It will definitely hurt your bottom. Needs improvement on reliability. I brought this car to the dealership for different reasons such as interiors (carpet clips always breaking off), interior controls (drivers side window control stopped working but fixed and now the passenger side stopped working). The steering squeaks, Chevy dealership never found the problem and now I am out of warranty, I am sure they wouldn't care. Now, my transmission broke down at only 117k and we do not have the money for the repairs.

Reliable. Period
By loveblues234

2009 Chevrolet Traverse SUV LS 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this car in 2011 as a 2009 model. Had higher miles in it for the year but that seldomly bothers me considering my driving needs. Terrific car! Have had to fix one thing since 2011 and that was a minor repair. (Actuator ... Controls hot and cold air) Haven't had to jump it, tow it, fix it, absolutely nothing! No joke either! Ridiculously happy with this car! When I need my next, I'll buy another one, wouldn't think twice about it.

Favorite Features

The drive is nice, no it's not a performance vehicle. But if your buying a Traverse you're not using it as a high end performance vehicle either. Dual temperature controls makes it comfortable for everyone in any seat. Lots of room for people and things! Middle seats also move forward and back, so you can make adjustments if the very back seat is filled with people as well. Had the car full of softball players to grown adults and it went great for all! I coach ball during the summer so equipment and players are in and out all.the.time. Buy all weather mats, much easier to clean with all those cleats.

Suggested Improvements

Of course like any SUV mpg's are always the complaint. Fuel economy.gov is right what I get. I drive both highway and in town miles. Combined I'm at that 17 mpg mark. As usual, that's my only complaint. I don't baby my cars, i drive them. Just a very nice all around car, low maintenance, typical oil changes, cheap gas (doesn't need the pricey stuff), reliable. Will defiantly buy another; when I finally need one. Only 85k, so I don't see that in my near future.

Wish I would have waited for reviews
By teyjay

2009 Chevrolet Traverse SUV LS 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my car new off the lot in 2009. I have had numerous problems with this car since i bought it. Starting with the air conditioning knob which until this day has not been fixed because they can not duplicate the problem. The next would be the trip i took right after we got the car and the water pump blew which left my family of six sitting in the middle of no where with no cell phone access in 90+ degree weather. The car can not stop on a small hill without rolling back. But the one that i am dealing with now is the transmission. The car will not shift into gear, it shuts down on the freeway. It's going back in the shop yet again. Do not waste your hard earned money on this car!

Favorite Features

Spacious, looks good from the outside.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission, uncomfortable seating, tires, power steering, air conditioning unit, and many, many more..

Steering Shaft defect
By mngirl

2009 Chevrolet Traverse SUV LT2 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Currently there is 51K on my Traverse. I do like it, it fits our family of five perfectly with room to spare. I didn't give the review 5 stars simply because there is always room for improvement. That said, I had a major problem with my steering column recently. While driving the vehicle, I suddenly and with no warning had no control of my tires - zero steering! When the vehicle was hauled to the shop, I was told that the steering shaft was completely dismembered and fell "out of place". Hmm....has this happened to anyone before?