2009 Chevrolet Traverse - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Traverse model:
many many issues
By nomoregm4me3 on 05/01/14 10:58 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LS 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

we have own the traverse since its release. we have had timing chain issues, transmission issues, A/C issues, and power steering issues. keep an extended warranty or get ready to fork over some cash for poor design, and poor workmanship.

Wish I would have waited for reviews
By teyjay on 09/29/12 14:10 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LS 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my car new off the lot in 2009. I have had numerous problems with this car since i bought it. Starting with the air conditioning knob which until this day has not been fixed because they can not duplicate the problem. The next would be the trip i took right after we got the car and the water pump blew which left my family of six sitting in the middle of no where with no cell phone access in 90+ degree weather. The car can not stop on a small hill without rolling back. But the one that i am dealing with now is the transmission. The car will not shift into gear, it shuts down on the freeway. It's going back in the shop yet again. Do not waste your hard earned money on this car!

Minivan in disguise
By tvaleri on 09/15/12 14:01 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LS 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I owned a 2009 for two years. Just sold last week. Hallelujah! Nonetheless, the Traverse drives and handles like a minivan. The plastic around and on the doors interior was already beginning to wear. Wires to a box located under driver's seat were loose and caused the "service airbag" light to display. Worst of all, there is no spare on the LS model. Instead, Chevy equips this vehicle with a mini air pump and some flat tire fixer. Not cool if the tire has a hole in it. The middle row of seats vibrated horribly. The 3rd row wasn't an issue. Glad to be rid of it. No more American made cars for me.

Love/Hate relationship
By mdr on 10/12/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LS 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Love my Traverse! Except the fact that it has been in the shop over 4 weeks this year. Timing chains(stretched) replaced twice, timing chain tensioners (weak) replaced, emission problem fixed, fuel injector fixed, shrill high pitched noise when radio/cd/dvd is on that tech can't seem to duplicate. Feel I have a lemon but really love my Traverse when it is running decently! Just do not feel I can rely on it. :~(

Like it but I dont love it
By Daphne on 07/06/10 12:16 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LS 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I recently purchased my certified 2009 Traverse. I am already thinking it's time to unload the truck. I think I need to purchase a 2010. The truck is making a whining noise that sounds like the power steering. I also noticed that the brakes tried to lock up this weekend. Last but not least, the dealership has inspected my car 2xs already. Today, will be the third time. This is costing me time and money. I haven't received my tags yet and the 30 day tags they issued expire tomorrow. I think its time to stop being nice. I do like the ride, the room and I'm proud to drive and American made vehicle.

I hate my Traverse, never buy gm again
By I HATE MY TRAVERSE!! on 05/09/10 20:08 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LS 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Very disgraceful gm, Chevrolet and dealership customer service, servicing, corporate office, deceptive dealer, 4019 miles dead no start, very poor 12.5 mpg, transmission issues, engine noises whistle knocking, brake squeals, poor visibility front bumper and backing, interior light stayed on 2 hours battery save feature malfunctioned, XM annoying calls, gm owner for 25 yrs and I'm done, will never buy gm again. Should of bought Honda/Hyundai. Stay away. Driver side under doors a small bar to protect plastic gas tanks on impact, hope it works? Driver window shimmy off track, dealer did not do detailing ripped me off $398. Gm/Chevy customer service no support claim dealers independently owned and can't help me.

Chevy Traverse
By 2009 Chevy Traverse on 02/01/10 07:44 AM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LS 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

My 2009 traverse is a year old and I'm not impressed with the gas mileage. About 16 mpg is the best that I have got. Also, I have tan leather seats and the drivers and passengers seat have black on them, they have been replaced once and now they are doing it again. It's like the leather is not real leather. Even the dealership could not get the black off the leather. Very disappointing.

Traverse, sorry we bought it
By Linda Silvey on 09/13/09 09:17 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LS 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We bought our traverse in June2009. The headrests are very uncomfortable and force a short person to keep their head bowed if they don't put a pillow behind their back. My husband has nearly wrecked it three times when trying to make a left hand turn due to the poor visibility when looking to the right to see if another vehicle is coming. It is hard to park because you cannot see the front end and it's very hard to back up due to the small window and the many blind spots along the sides (we have the economy model). The gas mileage is awful. We took a long trip and the highway mpg never got above 18 mpg. My biggest concern is safety. It is an accident waiting to happen.

A few concerns
By DParler on 08/22/09 20:39 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LS 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this SUV over a Toyota Highlander because I could negotiate a better price & I had $3500 worth of GM card points to further reduce the price. I also favored this vehicle over the Highlander because (1) it seats 8, not 7; (2) it has greater cargo room, ESPECIALLY when the rear seat is up; and (3) the seats split 60/40 so that one can go on vacation, comfortably seat 5, & still have room for luggage. As an owner, I have my concerns & disappointments. One of them is MPG consistently around 15.5 mpg. My wife's Sienna van gets 20 mpg under same conditions. You need to evaluate for yourself these "awkward features" ( 1) headrests; (2)seat comfort & adjust ability; (3) rear visibility.

Mixed review from our household!
By Air Force wife on 08/06/09 17:08 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LS 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Bought this to replace hubby's 10-year old Chrysler Sebring convertible. Hubby is 6'4" & fits well in the car. He loves everything about it. I am a bit pickier. Overall, it drives well, is mostly comfy (front head rests annoying), & has great storage for our 2 small kids w/car seats & a stroller in back. I drive a 2004 Toyota RAV4 (base model) & there are things my RAV has that this doesn't, like cup holders that adjust (this car has lots of cup holders, but only 2 hold a 20 oz. bottle), stereo controls on the steering wheel, & a cargo cover. Spare tire & jack cost $75 extra on the Chevy! Would still buy again because we couldn't afford anything more. Cargo space is worth it.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse in VA is:

$123 per month*