2009 Chevrolet Traverse - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Traverse model:
Reliable. Period
By loveblues234 on 09/08/14 06:17 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LS 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this car in 2011 as a 2009 model. Had higher miles in it for the year but that seldomly bothers me considering my driving needs. Terrific car! Have had to fix one thing since 2011 and that was a minor repair. (Actuator ... Controls hot and cold air) Haven't had to jump it, tow it, fix it, absolutely nothing! No joke either! Ridiculously happy with this car! When I need my next, I'll buy another one, wouldn't think twice about it.

many many issues
By nomoregm4me3 on 05/01/14 10:58 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LS 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

we have own the traverse since its release. we have had timing chain issues, transmission issues, A/C issues, and power steering issues. keep an extended warranty or get ready to fork over some cash for poor design, and poor workmanship.

Steering Shaft defect
By mngirl on 03/28/13 08:53 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT2 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Currently there is 51K on my Traverse. I do like it, it fits our family of five perfectly with room to spare. I didn't give the review 5 stars simply because there is always room for improvement. That said, I had a major problem with my steering column recently. While driving the vehicle, I suddenly and with no warning had no control of my tires - zero steering! When the vehicle was hauled to the shop, I was told that the steering shaft was completely dismembered and fell "out of place". Hmm....has this happened to anyone before?

Wish I would have waited for reviews
By teyjay on 09/29/12 14:10 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LS 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my car new off the lot in 2009. I have had numerous problems with this car since i bought it. Starting with the air conditioning knob which until this day has not been fixed because they can not duplicate the problem. The next would be the trip i took right after we got the car and the water pump blew which left my family of six sitting in the middle of no where with no cell phone access in 90+ degree weather. The car can not stop on a small hill without rolling back. But the one that i am dealing with now is the transmission. The car will not shift into gear, it shuts down on the freeway. It's going back in the shop yet again. Do not waste your hard earned money on this car!

Minivan in disguise
By tvaleri on 09/15/12 14:01 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LS 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I owned a 2009 for two years. Just sold last week. Hallelujah! Nonetheless, the Traverse drives and handles like a minivan. The plastic around and on the doors interior was already beginning to wear. Wires to a box located under driver's seat were loose and caused the "service airbag" light to display. Worst of all, there is no spare on the LS model. Instead, Chevy equips this vehicle with a mini air pump and some flat tire fixer. Not cool if the tire has a hole in it. The middle row of seats vibrated horribly. The 3rd row wasn't an issue. Glad to be rid of it. No more American made cars for me.

2009 Traverse
By tigger68 on 01/08/12 18:41 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We bought our traverse in June 2009 and I had one problem with a computer about a year ago. Then October 2011 came around and our check engine light came on. It was something I don't remember. We took it to the dealer and it was the timing chain and it had been recalled. They had the car for 10 days. Then we had the car back one day and I was driving home from work and it started smoking. We attempted to drive to dealer and did not make it. A transmission clamp broke. they fixed it and then we got it back. We had it back in 4 days. The fixed and have had some hesitation and now transmission module is out? Now back we go again! Dealer has been working with us at least!

Wish I hit reverse before buying Traverse
By mom2x2 on 11/28/11 20:12 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have been into the dealership 13 times in the past 2 months...nothing but issues with engine and powersteering. Was happy with car but this has thrown me over the edge. Do not feel comfortable driving my family of six in this vehicle. I would not recommend this vehicle to anyone. BEWARE

satisfied
By larry on 12/02/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT2 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have owned this car for 1 year. No problems except standard maintenance.

the car that makes me nuts
By zectbu1 on 11/25/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT1 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Okay, lets see where to start. I thought this car was going to be amazing and fun to have. Well it turns out it is the complete opposite. I have been to the dealership 6 times! And now let's talk about the customer service, it is unprofessional and rude. I have had so many problems with this car it is incredible. It even has warranty so it shouldn't be a problem but no, they don't want to change my tires they didn't even want to give me a rental car. I have a weird rattling noise coming from them and they won't change them. I am incredibly disappointed with this car and I do not advice this car to anyone on this planet. Here is a list of all the things I have done to this car, steering etc.

Eats coil packs like a fatty eats donuts
By Allan Elder on 10/26/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT2 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I loved this car initially; the best interior layout in its class bar none. Captain's chairs in the back, leather, DVD with Bose 5.1 surround. After 9000 miles we took it back to the dealer for a hesitation issue; they investigated and found nothing up. The Hesitation issue became worse and worse; on the third visit @ 18K miles they replaced the coil pack on cylinder #1. At 32K miles, they just replaced it again for the same issue.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse in VA is:

$123 per month*