Used 2008 Chevrolet TrailBlazer SS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TrailBlazer model:

Rewarding to drive
By cristios

2008 Chevrolet TrailBlazer SS SS 4dr SUV AWD w/3SS (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

My 08 TrailBlazer SS is a truly enjoyable ride. Porsche people will hate this but the car this reminds me most of is the 97 911C2S I drove for a while. Looking over the stubby hood and praying that there is enough traction to make it around the corner makes for fun- if not especially confidence inspiring- driving. There is however a lot of traction and brakes to go with the power of the LS2.

Favorite Features

Engine, brakes, suspension (both handling and ride). Also great steering for an SUV- right up there with my favorite- the FX45 and better than the Cayenne S I drove for two weeks.

Suggested Improvements

Better transmission and interior quality. A five speed would improve economy and performance- the four speed is archaic. The interior is better than the basic TrailBlazer but is so far off anything from Japan, Korea or Europe that it is no wonder GM is struggling.

SS TB Rocks!
By DCC

2008 Chevrolet TrailBlazer SS SS 4dr SUV w/3SS (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

After owning 2 Corvettes but needing a truck, this is a great way to go. Gas mileage could be much better if Chevy junked the 4-speed transmission for a five or 6-speed. Other than that, it's a blast to drive. This truck gets a lot of looks and is nicer looking (inside and out) than the SRT Jeep I was looking at.

Favorite Features

The SS looks great and is a lot of fun to drive. Almost as much fun as my '06 Corvette.

Suggested Improvements

Needs overdrive. 4-speed tranny is so 1990's. Gas mileage could be better if you weren't turning 2500 rpm just cruising down the highway.

Big Fun With a Price
By drwooly

2008 Chevrolet TrailBlazer SS SS 4dr SUV AWD w/3SS (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Now, on 07-01-08, kind of an update, because I've always felt like initial purchase is like lust, but keeping for a while is long-term love. MPG has leveled at 15 town/road, and drops to 11 if towing.Where's the six-speed A/T? Ride has degraded some because of low- profile tires, but still fun. Obviously, GM engineers don't expect anyone w/ this vehicle to tow anything because of the brain-dead design for electrical connections is impossible to use w/o altering /cutting some plastic. Just for fun, entered a car show we were playing music for, and walked away with a Top 25 medal for newer models. Didn't expect that! Still fun, still drinks gas like Foster Brooks, very nice!

Favorite Features

Corvette soul in an SUV body

Suggested Improvements

None to make; they're discontinuing ths vehicle. How much would a 6spd.A/T cost to swap?

High-Tech ... But Still Some 'Retro'!
By tknrg

2008 Chevrolet TrailBlazer SS SS 4dr SUV w/3SS (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

The "TBSS Experience" is as close as you're going to come today to getting a true sense of the good old glory days of the historic "Chevy SS" muscle cars of the '60s and early '70s! This vehicle not only recreates the feeling of the "SS power cruisers" of the past - - but it has handling, ride, comfort, and convenience features that go well beyond most vehicles (car, SUV, or truck) on the road today, especially in its price-range. This is an all- around, truly fine, American-made, limited production vehicle! Pretty spectacular all-around!

Favorite Features

This is as close to a "perfect package" as one can find. Top-shelf throughout!

Suggested Improvements

Dual exhausts would have looked better , and, in Florida, the window tinting might have been a little darker.

A Wonderful Blend
By tjl

2008 Chevrolet TrailBlazer SS SS 4dr SUV AWD w/3SS (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

My 2008 TrailBlazer SS AWD is the first performance truck I have owned. In the past I have had BMWs. Z Cars, etc. as my performance rides and a Blazer as my truck. I read a lot of reviews and on-line postings about the TB SS. I took one for an extended test drive and I was hooked. No car I have ever seen does everything well. The truly great cars are a balance of features and the Trailblazer SS is a great ride. Chevy has not just jammed a Corvette engine in a SUV. They have paid attention to all the details such as handling, comfort, looks, build quality, and did I say performance? They have tweaked everything. You will forget that you are in an SUV. The SS is a true joy to drive.

Favorite Features

The SS not only goes fast, but it handles like its Corvette sibling. The stealthy exterior. No flashy anything and no roof rack just pure function.

Suggested Improvements

A overdrive 5th gear. More hours in the day to enjoy it!