Research Pays
By itcd on
2005 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)
I purchased this vehicle 3 years ago with 87000 miles, and have since brought it up to 107000 so far. One thing I have noticed is that it seems to get a lot of guff around the Internet, but seems more like a mixed bag. Some people have transmissions failing prematurely, while I know of people with over 200k and no rebuild of either motor or transmission. This vehicle isn't for everybody. It isn't a "just buy it and drive it" type, it requires a bit more care and attentiveness than the average person will want to put into it. But for those who are willing, it is quite rewarding and proves to be snappy with its strong engine and okay steering response.
Favorite Features
I have an LT, with LT Packages 1 and 2 and some other goodies, so there is no shortage of features for me. The Bose package is enjoyable although some state that 2002-04 models had a superior amp from Bose installed. Having back issues, full-power seats which are heated and provide lumbar support are a great advantage over the cloth bench seat I used to have. The automatic HVAC system also helps keep me comfortable. The drivetrain is fairly solid. I currently have an issue with the 4x4 system but as I have little need for it I survive in 2HI just fine. The engine provides excellent response and the transmission has given me no issues yet.
Suggested Improvements
It pays to research before dropping your hard-earned cash on a vehicle, just because it looks pretty and has a bunch of buttons inside and you have a dealer shooting info at 100MPH toward you. As is stated, some people have major issues. Some people complain of issues which are very well-documented on the Internet, many of which have simple fixes, such as the gauges dropping out which costs about $30 and some soldering time to fix. My suggestions for the next iteration would be: -More robust QC. Some people have transmissions dropping at under 50k, others go 200k+. -Better interior materials. Some of the plastic is prone to breakage easily. -Keep the exterior look. They're not :(.