Used 2005 Chevrolet TrailBlazer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer - Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet TrailBlazer

View reviews for a specific TrailBlazer model:

Good but not perfect
By LouAnn

2005 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Overall this has been a good reliable vehicle but we have has some issues along the way. The transmission dipstick rotted off near the handle (replaced under warranty) and the alternator pulley was squealing within the first year of ownership. We purchased new, but these just seem to be poor quality issues. More recently the trim at the top of the hatch froze in place (winter ice) and bent upward - nearly breaking the glass. The cheap plastic trim held up though it bent the metal brackets; this is an obvious design flaw. Half the radio lights are out and it's $800 to replace it. Fuel economy is ok for a big SUV(about 15mpg) and we took 4 kids to FL from MA in relative comfort last year.

Favorite Features

Ride comfort, size (7 passenger). Lower gear ratio on this truck makes the it very responsive to the throttle, though it does negatively impact the fuel economy. Versatile selection between 2, 4 and AWD (with a low range for 4WD).

Suggested Improvements

Improved quality control. Some of the problems I have has are a direct result of poor quality materials or quality control. Could also use some better engineering with respect to the liftgate. Ice got into the seal along the roof and when the hatch was opened, it bent the brackets holding the glass.

Save Your Money !!
By Decisionmaker

2005 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I wish I had more than 700 characters to describe. Quality is less than desirable, very cheap interior, many factory screws missing. Fuel economy is a joke along with the electrical system. If considering this vehicle there is a reason for the 36K mile warranty, don't go past it. Many small issues and if your looking for a toss away vehicle you have made the correct choice. Just some advice for inclement zones, the trailblazer for a 4x4 is horrible in the snow/ice and even more dangerous on wet roads. I purchased new and have had all warranty work done and it is still a money hog with costly repairs. Gee, I wonder why GM is in trouble with TRUCK and SUV sales.Sorry this is my last GM product.

Favorite Features

Fold down seats. Really can't comment on features maybe the lack of.

Suggested Improvements

Burn this design and all patents with it. Really a shame a 35K vehicle reflects about 10K in actual cost. Resale horrible and GM really needs to look at the other foreign markets for ideas on how to keep the customer.

Noisy
By j. m.

2005 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I got one because I thought it looked good and it was a Chevy which made me think reliable. I have a 03 Blazer with over a hundred thousand miles no problem at all. With less than ten since I bought my 05 TrailBlazer with 30 thousand miles I've changed the water pump, power steering went out and the windows howl at high. Speeds due to bad weather stripping around the doors. The engine does have plenty of power and it handles well.

Favorite Features

Has plenty of interior space. Doesn't feel cramped at all. The power from the engine is good

Suggested Improvements

The door weather stripping and the noise needs to be a lot more quiet

Wih high gas prices, these are cheap!
By Rick0822

2005 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Have had this vehicle for about a month. I traded in my 10 year old Sunfire, and yes I miss the gas mileage, but it's OK. So far it has been great, we've put roughly 1000 miles on it trouble free. We did buy an extended service contract for the length of the loan, other reviews have been subpar, so we didn't want to chance it. With gas prices so high we paid $13K, and it had a window sticker of $36K. We bought it planning to only keep it around for 3 years or so, but we might go long term. Personally, I wish we would have bought the 3rd row V8, gas mileage isn't that much worse. We just couldn't find one low mileage with an LT option package.

Favorite Features

Turning radius, rear air ducts and controls. Heated seats(Minnesota winter!), most of the gadgets

Suggested Improvements

Rear seat doesn't fold flat, HVAC controls are a little too low to be comfortable, the middle seat in the back can't take a car seat. Nothing major

OK
By NIKKI

2005 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our second GM SUV this year it seems to be a nice vehicle. It delivers a very comfortable ride. And fuel economy well, it is an SUV. Not so great. It does tow well. We tow a 21 foot boat and it handles well. Overall I would buy another TrailBlazer.

Favorite Features

The way it rides is excellent when travelling

Suggested Improvements

The engine performance