2005 Chevrolet TrailBlazer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TrailBlazer model:
Research Pays
By itcd on 03/28/14 22:04 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this vehicle 3 years ago with 87000 miles, and have since brought it up to 107000 so far. One thing I have noticed is that it seems to get a lot of guff around the Internet, but seems more like a mixed bag. Some people have transmissions failing prematurely, while I know of people with over 200k and no rebuild of either motor or transmission. This vehicle isn't for everybody. It isn't a "just buy it and drive it" type, it requires a bit more care and attentiveness than the average person will want to put into it. But for those who are willing, it is quite rewarding and proves to be snappy with its strong engine and okay steering response.

2005 Trailblazer
By pissedoff16 on 11/05/13 05:48 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased my Trailblazer in 2006. It was a Pre-Certified car with only 13,000 miles. It carried the full 100,000 or 5 year warranly. At 104,000 miles (2011) the transmission went out. I purchased a New Chevy transmission to put back in it. Cost over $2500. Since then I have had nothing but problems with this car!!!! I have replaced air pump, 4 air injection pumps, 2 years my gas gauge hardly reads any gas in my car. I did not recieve a letter in 2011 about gas gauage. Now I am over the 120,000 limit. If you figure that, you can drive 1500 a year or 24 miles a day. Who can do that. I am pissed.

Nothing but trouble
By kmoore2 on 07/10/13 09:10 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

My wife insisted she wanted this car when we bought it in 2008......why did I listen. We are at 112,000 miles and the gas gauge is broke, speedometer broke, voltage meter broke, #6 cylinder has lost compression and now the engine needs replaced. Just replaced the clutch fan on the trans. GM should be embarrassed they produced such a piece of junk that worked great for most people for the first 3 years, just in time for the warranty to run out. Know issues with the gauges but they will on pay half on the gas gauge to fix. Same on them. I will never by another GM product.

Reliable
By tbguy1 on 07/03/13 14:50 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

The only real problem in 150K miles I've had was the fuel gage. If I compared this to all my other vehicles I've owned, mostly Japanese, it is better, and waaaaay better than my Toyota. Reliability is my number one issue. I hate paying for and doing repairs. Chevrolet paid for half of the repair and I didn't even have to chase them down nor was the vehicle still under warranty at 75K miles. This was parts and labor coverage. But as for the vehicle I just love it. Period. It's everything I ever wanted in an SUV - my first SUV. If you buy a vehicle brand new be sure to get what you want. If it's a Chevy it will last you many, many, many years so get all the goodies! and enjoy.

ISSUES THROUGHT THE YEARS....
By nolaredgirl on 09/24/11 13:48 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

My husband purchased me this SUV brand new in the year of 2005. Two years later, the mile reader went bad. After getting that issue repaired, the gas gauge went out. Since then, I started to drive the SUV by the mileage because I refuse to pay between $600-$1200 to get it repaired. After writing to Chevrolet, I was promised a returned call but that never happened. Because I went over the mileage for the warranty, Chevrolet could not cover the repair. Now four years later, in Sept 2011, I get a letter from Chevrolet stating that they will cover 50% of the cost to get the gas gauge repaired. Are you kidding me??? I'm about ready to trade this SUV in specially now that the TRANSMISSION went bad

infrequent stalling
By mungie on 09/07/11 15:21 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

i have a 05 trailblazer with 98,000 miles on it. havent owned it that long but has been stalling when im reversing and moving slowly in traffic. it starts back up fine then it is ok. it can go a while before it does it again. but it is concerning none the less. brought it to the shop a couple of times with no solution. if anyone has had this problem please let me know if you have an answer.

BAD CAR! Don't buy!
By dave1234567 on 05/27/11 07:47 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

This car was purchased almost brand new from the local Chevy dealer. We have had nothing but problems from week one. To start with the most recent problem, almost the entire dash is out. We have a gas gauge that works and nothing else. There are too many items we have replaced to list. Stay away from this car!

GM is horrible
By mint51 on 04/13/11 19:28 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

General Motors=Generally sucks your money= "money pit" I have never been so disappointed in a vehicle. I am only stuck with this vehicle because it has sucked so much of my money. But it is truly junk on the inside. They truly sacrificed quality, and did a "slap-stick" job on the inside...and the cylinders might as well have been made with plastic.. my TB is an 2005 73k miles...highway miles..well maintained..and i am already having to shell out money for prices similar to buying a new engine for a "new car"because GM admittedly made the cylinders with poor quality metal material..but would gladly provide a new set for extra $$$...stay clear of this crummy investment of transportation

Disheartened
By dsu24 on 01/19/11 10:55 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2005 Trailblazer EXT 4x4 and only have 58,000 miles on it. This was my first American vehicle and at first I loved it and was happy I made the switch. I have recently had a check engine light on and took it to the shop. Had a 300 error (engine misfire on cylinder 2) and after 2 visits and $150.00 later the shop told me to take it to the dealer. Just got off the phone and I am at $600.00 and they are still trying to figure out the issue. This truck is still brand new and should not have these issues. I have seen people complaining about this online so it is not just me. My wife's Nissan is older and has more miles and has no issues. This has soured me on GM. Stay away.

Loved my Trailblazer
By mrsgaylonj on 10/31/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I currently have 97,000 miles on my car and in all that time the ONLY repair/maintenance I've ever had to do was new tires, new left motor mount, front brakes and a new wire for the passenger side front headlight. All these that I just listed were done w/in the last 8000 miles. I've had 0 tranny issues. It is super comfy, fast, durable, handles well. We just had a baby so just traded it in for a new Escape, but I will miss it. It has by far been my favorite vehicle I've ever owned!