Used 2005 Chevrolet TrailBlazer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet TrailBlazer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TrailBlazer model:

Research Pays
By itcd

2005 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this vehicle 3 years ago with 87000 miles, and have since brought it up to 107000 so far. One thing I have noticed is that it seems to get a lot of guff around the Internet, but seems more like a mixed bag. Some people have transmissions failing prematurely, while I know of people with over 200k and no rebuild of either motor or transmission. This vehicle isn't for everybody. It isn't a "just buy it and drive it" type, it requires a bit more care and attentiveness than the average person will want to put into it. But for those who are willing, it is quite rewarding and proves to be snappy with its strong engine and okay steering response.

I have an LT, with LT Packages 1 and 2 and some other goodies, so there is no shortage of features for me. The Bose package is enjoyable although some state that 2002-04 models had a superior amp from Bose installed. Having back issues, full-power seats which are heated and provide lumbar support are a great advantage over the cloth bench seat I used to have. The automatic HVAC system also helps keep me comfortable. The drivetrain is fairly solid. I currently have an issue with the 4x4 system but as I have little need for it I survive in 2HI just fine. The engine provides excellent response and the transmission has given me no issues yet.

It pays to research before dropping your hard-earned cash on a vehicle, just because it looks pretty and has a bunch of buttons inside and you have a dealer shooting info at 100MPH toward you. As is stated, some people have major issues. Some people complain of issues which are very well-documented on the Internet, many of which have simple fixes, such as the gauges dropping out which costs about $30 and some soldering time to fix. My suggestions for the next iteration would be: -More robust QC. Some people have transmissions dropping at under 50k, others go 200k+. -Better interior materials. Some of the plastic is prone to breakage easily. -Keep the exterior look. They're not :(.

2005 Trailblazer
By pissedoff16

2005 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased my Trailblazer in 2006. It was a Pre-Certified car with only 13,000 miles. It carried the full 100,000 or 5 year warranly. At 104,000 miles (2011) the transmission went out. I purchased a New Chevy transmission to put back in it. Cost over $2500. Since then I have had nothing but problems with this car!!!! I have replaced air pump, 4 air injection pumps, 2 years my gas gauge hardly reads any gas in my car. I did not recieve a letter in 2011 about gas gauage. Now I am over the 120,000 limit. If you figure that, you can drive 1500 a year or 24 miles a day. Who can do that. I am pissed.

Nothing. A money trap

Do the right thing and let these people get their cars fixed. You built a bad car, we trusted Chevrolet and you failed us. Also, since new transmission you have to force my drive shift into Drive. It doesn't show wheather it is in Neutral, Drive or Drive 3.

Nothing but trouble
By kmoore2

2005 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

My wife insisted she wanted this car when we bought it in 2008......why did I listen. We are at 112,000 miles and the gas gauge is broke, speedometer broke, voltage meter broke, #6 cylinder has lost compression and now the engine needs replaced. Just replaced the clutch fan on the trans. GM should be embarrassed they produced such a piece of junk that worked great for most people for the first 3 years, just in time for the warranty to run out. Know issues with the gauges but they will on pay half on the gas gauge to fix. Same on them. I will never by another GM product.

Reliable
By tbguy1

2005 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

The only real problem in 150K miles I've had was the fuel gage. If I compared this to all my other vehicles I've owned, mostly Japanese, it is better, and waaaaay better than my Toyota. Reliability is my number one issue. I hate paying for and doing repairs. Chevrolet paid for half of the repair and I didn't even have to chase them down nor was the vehicle still under warranty at 75K miles. This was parts and labor coverage. But as for the vehicle I just love it. Period. It's everything I ever wanted in an SUV - my first SUV. If you buy a vehicle brand new be sure to get what you want. If it's a Chevy it will last you many, many, many years so get all the goodies! and enjoy.

heated, power, memory seats. sunroof. onstar with hands free phone and audio controls on steering wheel.

Keep I6 - smoothest running engine ever built

ISSUES THROUGHT THE YEARS....
By nolaredgirl

2005 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

My husband purchased me this SUV brand new in the year of 2005. Two years later, the mile reader went bad. After getting that issue repaired, the gas gauge went out. Since then, I started to drive the SUV by the mileage because I refuse to pay between $600-$1200 to get it repaired. After writing to Chevrolet, I was promised a returned call but that never happened. Because I went over the mileage for the warranty, Chevrolet could not cover the repair. Now four years later, in Sept 2011, I get a letter from Chevrolet stating that they will cover 50% of the cost to get the gas gauge repaired. Are you kidding me??? I'm about ready to trade this SUV in specially now that the TRANSMISSION went bad

The space! Very roomy! I am able to fit about 7 to 8 people in this SUV.

The BRAKES! For example, when you hit a bump then press the brakes, it seems skiddish! I hated that!