Used 2004 Chevrolet TrailBlazer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer - Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet TrailBlazer

View reviews for a specific TrailBlazer model:

Very nice suv
By mmatt400

2004 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this suv for about 2 years I bout It with 89,000 miles on it now I have 102982 I have had to change the fan cluch and water pump on it thats all Iv done to it she runs great this suv will get up and go its fast and really reliable the 4X4 works well drove it in snow and mud fantastic never got stuck once while my freinds in has jeep got stuck I was laughing. I thought jeeps were supposed to be able to go off road. This is the best suv I have ever owned. I can see it running to 400,000 miles No problem a co worker of mine has the same car and she's driving up to 300,000 miles and still driving. I also for got to mention that I am very tall about 6,6 I fit in the very well.

Favorite Features

4x4. Looks great

Frequently in the shop
By derek27

2004 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

-Engine shuts off while driving, says low oil pressure or service brakes. Both have been inspected, no problems. Looking at replacing the computer system again, since nobody can find the issue. -One headlight and taillight go out each year. -Cruise sensor has been replaced twice (still only works randomly) -Check engine light is always on. 4 different mechanics found nothing wrong, so they replaced the sensor, only for it to come back on a few months later. -4x4 has been serviced several times (four, I think) because it does not engage when placing into Auto 4x4 or 4 high/low. It is broken again and I am looking at a minimum of $600 to fix it again. -Gas tank spills out on every fill.

Favorite Features

-4x4 was great when it worked, but now I don't use it because of how frequently it bums out. -Plenty of space inside.

Suggested Improvements

-Most of the problems have been a result of the terrible computer system. Sensors frequently go bad, causing the vehicle to shut itself off while driving. This is VERY dangerous at highway speeds. I will only drive in the right-hand lane so I can pull over when it shuts off. -Cruise control has only worked sporadically the last 4 years. Sensors, switches, etc have been replaced several times and it still has problems. Either it shuts off the cruise while driving, or it will not activate until I pull over, park, shut the vehicle off, and turn it back on again.

Functional
By horsepower7

2004 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

i have owned it since 2005 and when i bought it the dealer put a towing package on it it had about 100,000 miles on it. it is great for light towing. i have also taken it of road onto some trails hunting. It goes through snow and ice really well and i should know i live in northern WI.but for this particular Model trailBlazer I have found that many of my friends that have owned one along with mine have had the exaust manufold crack around 120,000 to 140,000. overall my trail blazer has 157,000 miles on it. there is a slight leak of anti-freeze in the rear heater coil. Personally my trailblazer has done its job and will continue to for a good many miles.

Favorite Features

I love the fact it can tow at low RPMs because i am using less gas then when i use my truck. i also like that besides from hauling wood itll haul most things.

Suggested Improvements

I think if Chevy was still making them they shouldnt have made the plastics so cheap on the interior.

chevy junk
By anne1954

2004 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

My father always told me to buy chevy. But for me this is my last chevy product. I have replaced seals on the both rear axles because they leaked. The fix did not work on the right rear. Now I am waiting to replace the axle. But it is on National backorder. So it seems like many people are having the same problem. This should be a recall problem. No more chevy junk for me.

Suggested Improvements

when something works don't change just because someone wants to make more money

This Trailblazer just keeps on trailing!
By chevyvortecs

2004 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I've had this Trailblazer for as is old now, with 140,000 miles on it. It has only ever been towed once, for a clogged catalytic converter at about 60,000 miles. Also at about 120,000 miles the exhaust manafold cracked and needed to be replaced. But hey all cars break... Besides the short list of problems, this car has been wonderful, its been used hard and still pulls the fishing boat in the hills on weekends with ease. Great family car. Great cargo hauler. Number one choice for family trips. Loaded. Third row seat model (EXT). It has it all. This is the best Chevy I've ever had! If you need a good utility or person hauler. This is a comfortable, reliable choice you can be happy with.

Favorite Features

Good looking Interior and Exterior. Most powerful Inline 6 engine I've ever driven. Plenty of towing capability. Good off road capability. Comfortable ride. Good quality interior. Exceptional highway passing power. Overall. Solid car.

Suggested Improvements

Does not get the millage you would expect any six cylinder too, 14 city 18 highway for my 4x4 EXT model.