Used 2004 Chevrolet TrailBlazer Consumer Reviews - 290 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet TrailBlazer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TrailBlazer model:

04 Trailblazer not as good as my 06 Tahoe
By 4l60e

2004 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 04 Trailblazer n 08. It had 65,000 miles on it. The 1st. problem I notice was the a/c took to long to cool down. I check the trans fluid and the dip stick had rust on it. I forgot about the rust and bought it anyway. The CEL came on a few weeks later and I had to replace the thermostat. A few months down the road the trans begin to slip going to 3rd. gear. I had to replace the clutch fan to fix the a/c and installed a corvette servo to fix the slip. I've had to replace a motor mount, 2 water pumps and an instrument cluster. Last X-mas, I rebuilt the valve body to fix a TCC jerk @ 65mph. Now I need a rear end @ 134,000 miles.

275hp inline DOHC 6 cylinder to GM didn't put a 5 speed transmission in it. Good brakes and it handle pretty good. Really strong frame.

5 or 6 speed transmission

303,000 miles and going strong
By jweil810

2004 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I'm absolutely amazed that I have over 300,000 miles on this car.
It will be 10 years old in November.

Worth it if taken care of.
By wells596

2004 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

It's a good truck if it's taken care of. I bought the truck from a friend that's owned it since brand new in 2004 he got lazy with the oil changes and it ended up blowing a crank seal which blew the motor. He had me put a motor in it then I bought and it's been running fine ever since. I've had a few problems with it. Transfer case blew up valve cover seals. but all and all it's a good truck. I take it out and beat on it in the trails I jump it haul my 3,000 pound trailer behind it almost every day and it hauls fine. Love it.

Should have been a v6 not a straight 6.

Very nice suv
By mmatt400

2004 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this suv for about 2 years I bout It with 89,000 miles on it now I have 102982 I have had to change the fan cluch and water pump on it thats all Iv done to it she runs great this suv will get up and go its fast and really reliable the 4X4 works well drove it in snow and mud fantastic never got stuck once while my freinds in has jeep got stuck I was laughing.
I thought jeeps were supposed to be able to go off road.
This is the best suv I have ever owned.
I can see it running to 400,000 miles No problem a co worker of mine has the same car and she's driving up to 300,000 miles and still driving.
I also for got to mention that I am very tall about 6,6 I fit in the very well.

4x4. Looks great

Frequently in the shop
By derek27

2004 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

-Engine shuts off while driving, says low oil pressure or service brakes. Both have been inspected, no problems. Looking at replacing the computer system again, since nobody can find the issue.
-One headlight and taillight go out each year.
-Cruise sensor has been replaced twice (still only works randomly)
-Check engine light is always on. 4 different mechanics found nothing wrong, so they replaced the sensor, only for it to come back on a few months later.
-4x4 has been serviced several times (four, I think) because it does not engage when placing into Auto 4x4 or 4 high/low. It is broken again and I am looking at a minimum of $600 to fix it again.
-Gas tank spills out on every fill.

-4x4 was great when it worked, but now I don't use it because of how frequently it bums out. -Plenty of space inside.

-Most of the problems have been a result of the terrible computer system. Sensors frequently go bad, causing the vehicle to shut itself off while driving. This is VERY dangerous at highway speeds. I will only drive in the right-hand lane so I can pull over when it shuts off. -Cruise control has only worked sporadically the last 4 years. Sensors, switches, etc have been replaced several times and it still has problems. Either it shuts off the cruise while driving, or it will not activate until I pull over, park, shut the vehicle off, and turn it back on again.