2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TrailBlazer model:
used trailblazer
By d frey on 12/17/09 00:21 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer SUV LT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We traded in our 98 Jeep Cherokee on this as my wife's daily driver. It's a step up from the Jeep, bigger, nicer, more power. My only complaint is the gas mileage. We are getting about 11-12 in town and only about 14-15 on the highway. Luckily she only has a 1 mile commute. I may try a tune up, but it shouldn't really need one with only 60k miles.

Worth the money
By Pat on 10/27/09 14:03 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer SUV EXT LT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have an '03 ext LT with 4.2L. This has been a great Suv for me and my family. I agree the fuel economy could be better but for a '03 mid size Suv it's pretty good. Interior is excellent but I agree that the radio buttons do wear off. I love the 3rd row/cargo space. I've compared this to an explorer with the 3rd row and it can actually fit an adult unlike the explorer. I'm 6'1" and can sit back there (although I wouldn't do it for a LONG road trip). It's a comfortable and quiet ride. I would recommend it to anyone.

Price Repairs, But Fun To Drive
By Daniel on 09/28/09 15:57 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer SUV EXT LT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

5.3 V8 has much power and can haul and tow most anything. The whole family fits comfortably. Fits all my work tools and ladders well. Att 88000 miles I just spent $2600 to have my transmission rebuilt though. Found out they use the 460LE trnas in their other cars and unless you upgrade some internal components it will burn out from light towing or heavily loaded. This year I have replaced a battery (again), new alternator, new water pump, brakes, tires (again), rebuilt trans. I am in it for about $4000 in repairs and it is not that old. Can't afford to replace it as I need a truck for my job. Engine is still stong and hopefully all problems worked out. Did but it used w/44,000 miles tho.

No wonder GM is hurting.
By E.Crumb on 07/17/09 16:16 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer SUV EXT LT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I had owned this truck now for 15 months, bought it used with 73000 miles and very disappointed, just about every little thing that could go wrong with this vehicle has gone wrong. Right down to the cheap plastic features that have cracked on the interior, to the faded plastics on the exterior. The rear light housing on both sides have leaked and are in need of replacement will not pass inspection. In the 15 months my service engine light has come on at least 20 times. On an average it has cost $300 to fix. The gas pedal malfunctioned, thermostat, O2 sensors, TPS went twice, stuck two times in NYC with reduced power. Please be advised to look elsewhere if this is the type of SUV you need.

Love/hate relationship
By tcup on 06/06/09 17:05 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my LS right off the lot, brand new. I loved it, handled great, felt comfortable, felt expensive. At 50000 miles everything went downhill. The fan clutch went out, factory defect, known by GM. I had to replace it twice. AT 60000 miles the shifter would stick and not move, found a broken wire under the console. The fuel pump started spewing gas, after I repaired it, GM sent a letter with an offer to replace it--too late for me. Gas mileage was perfectly awful, I live on a mountain, it took a quarter tank of gas to down then up. The older the car got the worse it became.

Great Ride
By Maryellen on 05/13/09 06:53 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer SUV EXT LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I’m a Chevy buyer. Started with a Cavalier 25 years ago, and worked my way up to the Trail Blazer. I love it. It’s stylish and reliable. It still looks brand new, and rides as smooth as the day I purchased it.

Good value for the $$$
By Palmetto on 03/14/09 22:11 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer SUV LTZ Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

110 K mi. Absolutely no mech.issues to date. Good road ride, front seats are very comfortable , rear seats are not comfortable, tight entry/exit. Handles well on the highway, a little whale(ish) around town. The 4,2 L 275 hp engine is quiet and smooth with more than adequate power. Gas mileage is decent: 16-18 mpg city, 20-24 mpg hwy. With 55-60 mph cruise 25+ mpg. LTZ model but a basic Chevy w/bland, cheap plastic interior appointments. Excessive wind noise around windows. OA a decent American SUV for the money, not great, but a good value so far. I have not spent a penny beyond basic maintenance, which is a pleasant departure and surprise for a GM vehicle.

Best car ever!
By mikeyy on 12/28/08 23:27 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer SUV LT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

This car is the best. i can pass anyone out in it. lots of power. very comfy seats, feels like my couch at home. radio is awesome really loud and lots of bass. ac works great. engine noise is really quite around 1,000-2,000 rpm but once you get past 3,500 rpm the beast comes out. Just a great car

Mileage stinks
By Jo on 08/25/08 08:47 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer SUV LT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I only have 17,500 miles on this vehicle. I get 11 mph in town and 16 mph highway. I have the v6 engine. Thought about trading it even though it is in mint condition and very well maintained. Decided that the difference in cost for a new vehicle would buy a lot of gas.

I would buy another one carefully
By D & P Myers on 08/08/08 15:26 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We bought the SUV used with only 20k, but like it only had 2 miles on it!! Have been very happy with the power and comfort, the look is strong, masculine, but don't rub against anything or you will get bupper damage and maybe even more. The exterior look is great but lends to road scrathes on doors and poor bupper strength. The rear lience plate seal leaks and rear lights are not protected enough so they get chips and leak mosture into them. The interior after only 5 years has started to fall apart, and dash board buttons have scrathed off the name of the item. Fuel mileage could be better only 13-15 mpg.