2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer SUV Consumer Reviews 2

2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TrailBlazer model:

2003 TrailBlazer Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
No wonder GM is losing ground
By UNHAPPY

2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I own a 2003 Trailblazer. Started out great, until about a year ago when the ring and pinion gears went out. Had that replaced and now its in the shop and won't start. Thinking it has something to do with the theft deterrent system, even though I'm no thief, I'm the owner. I have put more money in this vehicle in a weeks time than what one months payment amounted up to. No wonder chevy claims to be like a rock, if you don't have them towed they seem to sit in the same spot like a rock. Will be the last I ever buy, if you don't believe me just google chevy trailblazer starting problems and see for yourself. Soon as it is up and running its getting traded for a Nissan/Toyota!

Favorite Features

Body style

Suggested Improvements

Do a recall on the starter problems or risk losing more business to the Japanese automakers, take better care of your customers, like Toyota is dealing with the gas pedal issue, at least they are attempting to fix their problem instead of acting like it don't exist.

used trailblazer
By d frey

2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer SUV LT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We traded in our 98 Jeep Cherokee on this as my wife's daily driver. It's a step up from the Jeep, bigger, nicer, more power. My only complaint is the gas mileage. We are getting about 11-12 in town and only about 14-15 on the highway. Luckily she only has a 1 mile commute. I may try a tune up, but it shouldn't really need one with only 60k miles.

Favorite Features

lots of room, lots of power

Suggested Improvements

bad mileage.

Worth the money
By Pat

2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer SUV EXT LT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have an '03 ext LT with 4.2L. This has been a great Suv for me and my family. I agree the fuel economy could be better but for a '03 mid size Suv it's pretty good. Interior is excellent but I agree that the radio buttons do wear off. I love the 3rd row/cargo space. I've compared this to an explorer with the 3rd row and it can actually fit an adult unlike the explorer. I'm 6'1" and can sit back there (although I wouldn't do it for a LONG road trip). It's a comfortable and quiet ride. I would recommend it to anyone.

Favorite Features

Interior comfort in all 3 rows. Bose sound system. smooth running engine and transmission. Quality of parts. I have only done maintenance on it and have 75k on it.

Suggested Improvements

3rd row to lay flat not at an angle. Better radio button quality. Cup holders away from shifter. Cup holders for 2nd row. Better gas mileage

Price Repairs, But Fun To Drive
By Daniel

2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer SUV EXT LT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

5.3 V8 has much power and can haul and tow most anything. The whole family fits comfortably. Fits all my work tools and ladders well. Att 88000 miles I just spent $2600 to have my transmission rebuilt though. Found out they use the 460LE trnas in their other cars and unless you upgrade some internal components it will burn out from light towing or heavily loaded. This year I have replaced a battery (again), new alternator, new water pump, brakes, tires (again), rebuilt trans. I am in it for about $4000 in repairs and it is not that old. Can't afford to replace it as I need a truck for my job. Engine is still stong and hopefully all problems worked out. Did but it used w/44,000 miles tho.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable to drive, roomy for all seven people (including adults). better than a minivan. After all the repairs still not willing to get rid of. It is not to big and not to small.

Suggested Improvements

Better Transmission and Parts. Upgrades to transmission should be standard not after it blows out on you. 460LE Transmission. Get trans servos upgraded to at least the Corvettes on gears 1,2, & 4. Makes 3rd become an accumulator gear. better ofr towing and heavy loads.

No wonder GM is hurting.
By E.Crumb

2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer SUV EXT LT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I had owned this truck now for 15 months, bought it used with 73000 miles and very disappointed, just about every little thing that could go wrong with this vehicle has gone wrong. Right down to the cheap plastic features that have cracked on the interior, to the faded plastics on the exterior. The rear light housing on both sides have leaked and are in need of replacement will not pass inspection. In the 15 months my service engine light has come on at least 20 times. On an average it has cost $300 to fix. The gas pedal malfunctioned, thermostat, O2 sensors, TPS went twice, stuck two times in NYC with reduced power. Please be advised to look elsewhere if this is the type of SUV you need.

Favorite Features

Sleek and powerful

Suggested Improvements

Start at the drawing board, think of the consumers who rely on your products and build a quality vehicle again. Place dependable parts in your vehicles. Get away from the thinner plastics because they crack and become extremely annoying.

Love/hate relationship
By tcup

2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my LS right off the lot, brand new. I loved it, handled great, felt comfortable, felt expensive. At 50000 miles everything went downhill. The fan clutch went out, factory defect, known by GM. I had to replace it twice. AT 60000 miles the shifter would stick and not move, found a broken wire under the console. The fuel pump started spewing gas, after I repaired it, GM sent a letter with an offer to replace it--too late for me. Gas mileage was perfectly awful, I live on a mountain, it took a quarter tank of gas to down then up. The older the car got the worse it became.

Favorite Features

Good quality handling and feel. V6 engine quick and powerful.

Suggested Improvements

GM needs to put more effort into constructing a good quality vehicle that lasts and be more responsive (and honest) to the faults and repairs on their product.

Great Ride
By Maryellen

2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer SUV EXT LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Im a Chevy buyer. Started with a Cavalier 25 years ago, and worked my way up to the Trail Blazer. I love it. Its stylish and reliable. It still looks brand new, and rides as smooth as the day I purchased it.

Favorite Features

BOSE stereo, automatic seat adjuster, heated seats just to name a few

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of any...

Good value for the $$$
By Palmetto

2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer SUV LTZ Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

110 K mi. Absolutely no mech.issues to date. Good road ride, front seats are very comfortable , rear seats are not comfortable, tight entry/exit. Handles well on the highway, a little whale(ish) around town. The 4,2 L 275 hp engine is quiet and smooth with more than adequate power. Gas mileage is decent: 16-18 mpg city, 20-24 mpg hwy. With 55-60 mph cruise 25+ mpg. LTZ model but a basic Chevy w/bland, cheap plastic interior appointments. Excessive wind noise around windows. OA a decent American SUV for the money, not great, but a good value so far. I have not spent a penny beyond basic maintenance, which is a pleasant departure and surprise for a GM vehicle.

Favorite Features

4.2L engine has been smooth and reliable. Good highway ride. So far, mechanically sound.

Suggested Improvements

Improve wind noise and OA sound proofing. Vehicle deserved better interior appointments.

Best car ever!
By mikeyy

2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer SUV LT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

This car is the best. i can pass anyone out in it. lots of power. very comfy seats, feels like my couch at home. radio is awesome really loud and lots of bass. ac works great. engine noise is really quite around 1,000-2,000 rpm but once you get past 3,500 rpm the beast comes out. Just a great car

Favorite Features

0-60 time, power, brakes, stereo, steering/turing, tire screeching fun

Suggested Improvements

The plastics used inside to be better quality, not to wear out so fast. 6 speed transmission, dual tailpipes.

Mileage stinks
By Jo

2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer SUV LT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I only have 17,500 miles on this vehicle. I get 11 mph in town and 16 mph highway. I have the v6 engine. Thought about trading it even though it is in mint condition and very well maintained. Decided that the difference in cost for a new vehicle would buy a lot of gas.

Favorite Features

Getting in and out of my 1000 ft driveway and down my dirt country road in the winter.

Suggested Improvements

Not making it much longer so no matter.