Used 2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer EXT LT SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TrailBlazer model:

Price Repairs, But Fun To Drive
By Daniel

2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer SUV EXT LT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

5.3 V8 has much power and can haul and tow most anything. The whole family fits comfortably. Fits all my work tools and ladders well. Att 88000 miles I just spent $2600 to have my transmission rebuilt though. Found out they use the 460LE trnas in their other cars and unless you upgrade some internal components it will burn out from light towing or heavily loaded. This year I have replaced a battery (again), new alternator, new water pump, brakes, tires (again), rebuilt trans. I am in it for about $4000 in repairs and it is not that old. Can't afford to replace it as I need a truck for my job. Engine is still stong and hopefully all problems worked out. Did but it used w/44,000 miles tho.

Very comfortable to drive, roomy for all seven people (including adults). better than a minivan. After all the repairs still not willing to get rid of. It is not to big and not to small.

Better Transmission and Parts. Upgrades to transmission should be standard not after it blows out on you. 460LE Transmission. Get trans servos upgraded to at least the Corvettes on gears 1,2, & 4. Makes 3rd become an accumulator gear. better ofr towing and heavy loads.

Mixed Feelings
By Chicubs

2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer SUV EXT LT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my TrailBlazer since I bought it new in Aug of 2003. I love the styling and the huge cargo space (EXT version). It's been great for moving my daughters back and forth from college. Rides nice for a truck. The good news ends there. Too many things have gone wrong with it that shouldn't have gone wrong. I'm now on my 3rd instrument panel cluster assembly and now need a 4th one. These things cost over $500 to replace. Poor quality! I've had a few other things go wrong including my radio - I'm on my 3rd unit. As much as love the styling and cargo room, I'd never purchase another one especially considering the resale value is very poor. The money I saved up front is costing me now.

Cargo room. Driver's power seat. Exterior styling.

Overall better quality and engineering. This would make the ownership experience better and improve resale value.

Don't buy one
By Ruth

2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer SUV EXT LT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have own mind for three years. It has the V8, and it does get up and go. But it's been in the shop for things like two new transmisions, still giving me trouble as I write this. Several air conditioning problems since new, and finally last year it ate it self up and they had to replace the whole air conditioner, including all the belts. Right now I have a light on the dash telling me according to the dealer that I have to pay $350 for them to tell me why? I purchase the added protection just about everything they wanted me to purchase, now it's all ran out! Before the warranty ran out I was protected. What do I do now since the dealer told me that the air bags aren't working?

I have the DVD player. It is nice for the kids.

The radio & DVD player get so hot you can't touch! Make DVD screen bigger so people in the far back can see better/ Transmission problems should be fixed. Air conditioner needs to be fixed. Increase size of front windows, they are small! The thing with the tail lights always being on recall! Doors made larger!

TrailBlazer
By SW Driver

2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer SUV EXT LT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

This car has been reliable and is extremely comfortable. I bought it used over a year ago and have not had one problem. I have been very pleased with the purchase. There is a little road noise and if I do not get the gas cao on tight enough, the Service Engine light comes on. Other than that, it is a great vehicle.

Comfort, solid feel, reliability

Wind noise, higher cargo area, gas mileage

Nothing But Trouble
By Julie

2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer SUV EXT LT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We have had this car for 2 1/2 years now and it has been in the shop 12 times. The last visit was for a chirping noise when accelerating and the dealership said they called the GM headquarters and talked to the engineers and that the problem was "normal" and couldn't be fixed. Have also had electrical problems, preset radio stations disappearing, brake pads needing to be replaced, rotors fixed, and many other recalls. I think 12 times in for problems in only 2 1/2 years is excessive.

Interior space, DVD system, nice ride

Quality! And don't tell me you can't fix something--everything can be fixed or replaced.