Used 2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LTZ SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TrailBlazer model:

Good value for the $$$
By Palmetto

2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer SUV LTZ Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

110 K mi. Absolutely no mech.issues to date. Good road ride, front seats are very comfortable , rear seats are not comfortable, tight entry/exit. Handles well on the highway, a little whale(ish) around town. The 4,2 L 275 hp engine is quiet and smooth with more than adequate power. Gas mileage is decent: 16-18 mpg city, 20-24 mpg hwy. With 55-60 mph cruise 25+ mpg. LTZ model but a basic Chevy w/bland, cheap plastic interior appointments. Excessive wind noise around windows. OA a decent American SUV for the money, not great, but a good value so far. I have not spent a penny beyond basic maintenance, which is a pleasant departure and surprise for a GM vehicle.

4.2L engine has been smooth and reliable. Good highway ride. So far, mechanically sound.

Improve wind noise and OA sound proofing. Vehicle deserved better interior appointments.

Transmission Blew out at 20K
By Kevin

2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer SUV LTZ Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

This vehicle is another typical poorly snapped together American tin can. My wife and I decided to be loyalto the US manufacturers, and I have not had a US made car since my Dodge Dart slant 6, which was ugly but reliable! This TrailBlazer was aptly named. Hit the trail and something under the hood will soon be ablaze, as I was told when I had an engine fire at 5,342 miles that was due to oil that spilled on the block. I disagree, since it looks like it originated from a cluster of wires that looks like a rats nest. Then my transmisssion completley failed at 19,456 miles and needed to be completley replaced. They blamed it on us saying we had driven the car hard. We use it to shop!

It does come with quite a few basic features, Bose CD, leather on LTZ, but these seem lower quality than Japanese competitors. Now Chevy is starting employee pricing again, and I cant even get $14K for this thing with only 48K on it! Mad, and learned my lesson. Hopeit gets stolen! But who would?

Eliminate this line. Chevy makes too many gas guzzling 4x4s as is, and this one has so many quirks I can't begin to list them.

2003 Trailblazer LTZ
By chris

2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer SUV LTZ Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I've had dozens of vehicles in my life and my Trailblazer, knock on wood, has been the most reliable so far. The ride is fantastic and smoother than any other SUV out there (and trust me...I looked at everything out there prior to purchasing). I was all set to get a full size SUV like a Tahoe, but my wife really liked the Trailblazer's size, not too big and not too small. Not having a third seat (I opted not to go for the extended length version because I thought the looks were less appealing) will probably disuade some buyers but I really didn't have a need for it. My only complaint is that it doesn't get 30 mpg, but then no SUV does. Let's see if I am still happy 2-3 years from now.

The ride on the Trailblazer is second to none, and I mean compared to larger and much more expensive vehicles. I've got friends who own Range Rovers, Lexus and BMW's who have driven my vehicle and went on and purchased one. These people can drive anything they want. I think that says a lot.

Better fuel economy would be nice. Maybe the addition of Displacement on Demand where cylinders are cut off to save fuel. I think we're going to see this feature on many new vehicles in the coming years.

Best I've Ever Had
By J.S.

2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer SUV LTZ Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Bought a new one in 2001 (one of the first ones on the road). Traded it in and regretted it ever since. Finally got back into a Trailblazer. I've had them all - Durango, Passport, Grand Cherokee, Land Rover. I enjoy the Trailblazer far better than any of them! Gas mileage is fine. (18.9 avg.) What do you expect from an SUV? Much better than the Durango gas hog!

2 tone leather, cd changer, heated seats, too many options to list. Plenty of room for my children in the back seat! Love the way it looks. Sporty, yet family-friendly. No minivan for me!

Someone needs to take a look at the EXT model. The look is terrible. Looks like they took the regular Trailblazer and stretched it out.

Not bad, just not worth the money
By Max

2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer SUV LTZ Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

The SUV is not bad. The paint finish is not good. Too much orange peel. I have had a few minor problems. I am starting to feel and hear a slight clunk sound when I start out only after I apply the brakes to stop. I don't think it is the transmission, just sort of like something sliding back in to place. The gas mileage is very poor. I get around 15 in town and 18 to 20 on the open road. 90% of my driving is on the interstate, thank goodness. I am not sure that I will rush out and get another GM SUV.

Reduce the cost, use less plastic on the interior and give a better paint finish.