Used 2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer - Consumer Reviews

2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer

View reviews for a specific TrailBlazer model:

Most Helpful|
Chevy trailblazer
By Chevy Trailblazer

2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I own a 02 trailblazer and I just bought it last year it has spent more time in the shop than in my driveway. It is now also in the shop for new transmission. I hate this vehicle. My mechanic said the housing was busting on the inside in big chunks. I gave too much for it and I am still giving with the problems I have with it.

It did it's job - and I'm okay
By mbs2

2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I'm just sick over the fact that I wrecked my '02 Trailblazer a week and a half ago. I LOVED that car. In fact, most comments I got from people, after making sure that I was okay, were to express their sympathy over me losing my car - everyone knew how much I loved that thing. As a real estate broker specializing in mountain properties, I used my TB for all it was worth. At 159,000 miles, it ran perfectly, looked nearly perfect, nobody could tell it was as old as it was. I bought it in '04 with 42k miles on it, and only repair was a 4WD switch computer chip. While I was spinning out in the rain on the freeway about to hit a tree, I was calm because I knew it would keep me safe, and it did.

Favorite Features

Nice styling - even at 9 years old it was sharp looking. Interior was immaculate, and I did not baby it... spills cleaned up easily, carpets looked new, everything worked. Acceleration power was great, 4WD got me out of every crazy place I managed to get myself into. Nice handling, nice size, very maneuverable, very sharp turning radius. Brakes were amazing - I had a close call once when a car stopped unexpectedly in front of me, and my TB saved me from a rear-ender that would have been "my fault." As I keep saying, I loved that car...

Suggested Improvements

Poor gas mileage is my only complaint, especially now that gas prices are so crazy. I would buy another TrailBlazer in a heartbeat, if only fuel economy wasn't so important to me now. I don't know yet what I will be getting to replace it, sure wish I could afford the gas to keep with another one, but I drive too much to get only 15/18 mpg.

they hold up well
By mike09

2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I've had some problems here and there with the 4-wheel drive and the gas mileage is ok. but They hold up really well in a rollover accident. i lost control of mine and it rolled and it just shoved in the rear driver corner of the roof.

Favorite Features

I loved the automatic headlights and running light. and the performance was surprisingly good for a 4500 pound suv.

Suggested Improvements

the gas mileage should be improved i only got 17 mpg.

Still Love It!
By kakki007

2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased in late 2002 as used vehicle with low miles. Now have 111,600 miles, and no major problems other than fan clutch which was covered by warranty. Just replaced compressor at $1040 after it froze up. Replaced battery twice, tires once, and tail light twice. Use the 4WD when it rains, and feel much more secure. Really love the smooth ride, radio and power. Only complaint is mileage 12.5 city/20 mpg highway which is good for vehicle this size/about 18 mpg when using 4WD on highway. Would recommend to anyone.

Favorite Features

Size, smooth ride, radio and power. Still nice looking at 11 years old.

Suggested Improvements

Better mileage, power driver seat, and telescoping steering wheel in all vehicles.

Disappointedchevyowner
By neverbuychevyagain

2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a "certified" used 2002 from the dealership w/ extended warranty. this broke down 3 days after I drove it off the lot. took 3 weeks to get back. I have had nothing but 1 problem after another in 4 yrs of ownership. Engine just went at 70k (manuf defect w/ cyl wall) and after 6 weeks I finally get back with used engine that doesn't run right. On way home front suspension fell apart- not put back together properly. Calls to Chevy/GM were no help. GM will not stand behind their vehicles and basically acted like they didn't even want to hear about my problem. GM refused to give new engine or guarantee on used engine. I'll never buy GM again. Getting Subaru if I ever get back.

Favorite Features

rides nice when it isn't in the shop. it's 4 wheel drive (when the 4WD switch actually wants to work) has a lot of room for baby stuff. That's about it.

Suggested Improvements

better reliability. GM needs to learn the ettiquette of customer service/satisfaction and build vehicles that are more reliable and not give you a hard time every time it breaks down. No wonder why everyone I know is getting rid of their chevy's and buying subarus/hondas. I will be next.