Used 2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer - Consumer Reviews

2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer

View reviews for a specific TrailBlazer model:

I love it!
By Rick

2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

This has been the best vehicle I have ever owned. I knocked out the factory muffler and replaced it with a Dynomax and eliminated the rear resonator. I also replace air filter with a K&N. My truck has the feel of a sports car and the fuel economy of a smaller truck. I average 19.5 MPG and it has 85K miles on it. The only items replaced on it have been the O2 sensor, serpentine belt, four tires and headlight relay. I have maintained it according to OEM requirements. I considered many SUV's before purchasing this truck and comparing others I still can't find a better truck for the money after 5 years. I still have the original brakes!

Favorite Features

The engine power and reliability, interior comfort and overall cargo capacity.

Suggested Improvements

The seat belts on front seats should have been placed on column not seat.

'02 Trailblazer
By Sterk0414

2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Once you get past the fact that you will only get a max of 16 miles per gallon you'll love this truck. It's got plenty and good pick up for the size of the SUV. This was my first SUV purchase after driving only little sports cars and i'm not sure if I can switch back.

Favorite Features

The running boards are a plus but I would have to say the sunroof. I like the sun!

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of anything that I would or could change really.

So Good I Purchased one for my wife!
By John Horton

2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer EXT LT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Very pleased with the ride looks and durability of the car. The only problems I have had have been the tail lights which GM did fix and I never had a problem again with either vechicle. I purchsed a second one for my wife and we both have been pleased with the performance of the car.

Favorite Features

Dual A/C. In the Winter my wife will have the heater going and on my side I will have the A/C going. We are both happy. For 30 years of marriage fighting over the temperture is no longer a problem. With the difference in the tempertures I am suprised we do not create a thunderstorm.

Suggested Improvements

Just wish it was a little bigger for a laptop and purse in front seat.

Okay for the Money
By Not Again

2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

This was the first Chevy I have owned and for the first few months it was great. I had to take it in for several recalls (3x) and about 6 times for rear brake lights. I have spent about $2000 in repairs for misc items. The CD player is now having problems switching between radio and cd player on its own. Now the computer is going out. I guess for the money it is okay, but would suggest only keeping it for a few years and then trading it in for something else.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, lots of room, good interior for the price.

Suggested Improvements

Better engine performance, brake lights need to be fixed, paint is poor quality, too many problems and visits to the shop. Needs to be more reliable.

Good Enough for Me
By brisk8

2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Only a few minor repairs that I had to pay for: leaking exhaust manifold, leaking cam positioning sensor, siezed water pump, tie rods, brakes and disks (only one a little out of the ordinary). Current concerns, a/c vent actuator for the dash vents and "loose" timing chain that does not concern my mechanic. Engine very reliable, powerful, and relatively efficient. Linear 6 engine is great addition to Chevy lineup. OEM tires a little weak but got over 50,000 out of replacement Bridgestones. Numerous recalls hadled by dealer (no charge). If considering buying, have all major components checked: engine, trans, differential. If they are OK, I recommend purchasing.

Favorite Features

4x4, ride height (feeling of comfort), does not drive like an SUV, engine trans performance, rear climate control, rear folding storage seats, hitch.

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel efficiency, bigger opening when liftgate open, positioning of trailer electrical connection, design of spare carrier (need to keep an eye on it as is is exposed to element and can sieze)