2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LS SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer - Consumer Reviews

2002 TrailBlazer Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TrailBlazer model:

Sort Reviews by

Lot of Luxury...Not a lot of Price.
By Steve

2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer SUV LTZ 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

My wife insisted on getting an SUV in spite of her having a reliable 2dr car that was paid for. I shopped around for awhile and saw that the Trailblazers came at a good price. We bought used with low miles. I couldn;t be happier with the car. It's got so many bells and whistles (we have the LTZ) it makes it fun to drive. Gas mileage is not the best but, it's an SUV what can you do.

TRAILBLAZER 101
By Kemp Morris

2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have put 60K on this truck.. it has never been in the shop for anything except the scheduled recalls. I have been off road 4x4 worked fine. This has been a great truck dependable. The key to these 4x4's is proper maitenence you must change your fluids.. I change all the fluids in the entire vehicle every 30k example rear diffs, transfer case, trans. etc (oil every 3500)and have used synthetic since day one. This has been a great vehicle. In comparison to everything in its class it has the best ride (smooth) of any of the SUV with solid rear axles

Favorite Features

Ride, smooth, very roomy compared to 4 runner and Explorer, cosmetically appealing, reliability. Remember most surveys come from a few bad apples. Great engine inline 6 smooth as butter and powerful. This engine has won awards.

Suggested Improvements

Redesign dash make it a little smoother, maybe more expensive looking but the ergonomics are great just needs some style enhancement inside.

A great SUV to own and drive
By Zeke

2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer SUV LT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I've had two 2002 Trailblazers LT, 1st one new , drove to 78,000 miles. Very reliable and great riding comfort on highway. Bought another 2002 used with only 18,000 miles because the first one was so reliable. Will keep this one for another couple years. Don't know why so called experts rate this car so low. May buy anew one in a couple years. Only one major complaint--The heating/AC controls are very difficult to figure out and use. Tell them to go back to the hot/cold with a fan control.Nothing complicated.

Favorite Features

Ride and comfort. Hardly any mechanical problems.

Suggested Improvements

Make the heating/AC easier to use.

And they wonder why GM is going under??
By Renzo

2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Fell in love with the front face of this SUV in july 2001, went to test drive it in August, made a deal in September, and $30,000 later, I had my brand new Chevy Trailblazer. In the first 6 months, it was in for repairs 4 times, electrical, brakes, 4wd switch, more electrical, yet more electrical, etc. A year later, with around 28K miles, I got stuck out in VA (Im from NY). Tranny was locked, key locked, etc. Contacted GM, "take it to a dealer and theyll fix it". I manually unlock the tranny and had to drive 450 miles w/o int. lights, turn signals. Took it to dealer, They told me I had too many miles! The worst vehicle ever!

Favorite Features

The aftermarket XM Radio I installed, Towing Package

Suggested Improvements

Fire the electrical engineer who designed this one. Make something that will last, receiving a letter from GM telling you the engine will crack sometime, is not very reassuring! Especially when they tell you they will fix it if its before the 100k mile mark.. after that.. you're on your own!!

Gilbert
By Gilbert

2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer SUV LS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Completely frustrated with this vehicle, been to the dealership countless times with repairs and totally frustrated with the fuel mileage. Having been a long time GM customer for me has come to an end. Would not recommend this vehicle to anyone. It is not surprising that GM is losing market share in North America, I know I will not buy another GM

Favorite Features

I do like the ride and handling but that is it!!!

Suggested Improvements

Needs tremendous improvement in fuel economy and there needs to be a definite improvement in General Motors quality or they won't last. product. Time to try a Toyota.

Things that are difficult to correct
By tom j. cerniglia

2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer SUV EXT LT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Excellent audtomobile for the purpose for which it was purchased. Problems with the fuel tank covered under warranty. Currently problem with engine light constantly on cannot be easily corrected by dealer. Seat and mirror memory is sporadic. Am told by dealer it could be belt noise?

Favorite Features

Lots of cargo space. Still looks new after normal usage

Suggested Improvements

Extended warranty should cover computer problems

Poor
By Pedro Villalon

2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer SUV LTZ 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Tens of mechanical problems, roof lining fell off, engine got stuck in first gear, needed towtruck, hydro sterring wheel pump failed, needed towtruck, had to replace motor and sensor of fan, 4x4 selector on dashboard had problems, jump from one gear to another, had to be replaced, to check the air pressure in the spare tire requieres to lower the tire from its niche. Big problem. Stops lights connectors are tiny wires that with vibration get loose, you have to put them apart to tighten them. Drivers seat is as comfortable as sitting on nails, the rest of the seat are ok. Wheather trim on right front door fell off. Canīt wait to sell it. Too bad itīs a company car and have to wait a year.

Favorite Features

Twin AC units in the front panel. Compass, Auto inside rear view mirror, Auto windshiel wipers. Extra DC outlets

Suggested Improvements

Re do the whole thing, specially the drivers seat.

My Chevy Trailblazer
By Elaine Wade

2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer SUV LS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have been very pleased with the overall performance of my Trailblazer. It is very comfortable for long and short driving periods, with adjustments for a drivers height and back comfort preferences. Despite the reviews about poor performances on handling on curves, I have found my Trailblazer to be very smooth on curves which I usually take at above average speeds. I have enjoyed it so much, as have my children, that my daughter purchased a 2006 Trailblazer also. This is one of the best midsize SUVs on the road without the need for the Lexus or Cadillac prestige price tags and logos. I can drive it off road, which I do, wash it and go to church or to a social function in style.

Favorite Features

Smooth ride, midsize capacity, storage facilities, cleancut and functional features on the dash that don't require special instructions to use, functional use for many chores from work to social events. I love the size-I'm slightly higher than cars on the road but don't have to use a running board.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage could be improved. I love the vehicle and would purchase another without qualms, but the gas mileage sure does need to be improved. More color selections would be a good idea also.

Love it!
By elemnopea

2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer SUV LT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Trailblazer LT 4X4 from a local Chevy dealership and I love it! It has plenty of pep for passing and smooth acceleration. The ride is a big improvement over the compact car I owned before. The dashboard controls are handy. It has plenty of cargo room for my family. My kids love the rear heat and air conditioning.

Favorite Features

Available OnStar. Rear heat and air controls. Dashboard 4X4 is a great feature.

Suggested Improvements

Better dashboard. Better gas mileage.

"Generally Favorable-But"
By ED Reinhardt

2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Generally favorable, confortable,good mileage,particularly HWY, good electronics, espec.ave/miles/gal.etc. However,several minor recalls, 2 tail- light assemblies, one fan motor, + major expense on a "fuel sender-unit" all at 45m-55m miles, make this a frustrating vehicle compared to my two Four-Runners. Might consider another Trailblazer only because of the phychological counseling provided by my dealer!

Favorite Features

Electronic package...ave mileage/gal.+ instant mpg., OnStar, interior comfort, exterior styling.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability on components...i.e., tail- lights, seat-belts, fan motors,fuel senders & related accessories.