Used 2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer - Consumer Reviews

2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer

View reviews for a specific TrailBlazer model:

Great SUV
By master mechanic

2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I now have 127,000 miles on my Trailblazer and still love it. I has been great. I have had it off road many times and have at times been quite rough on it, but I do all the regular maintenance when it is supposed to be done. It still goes down the highway very nicely and I can get 21.5 mpg, not bad for a fairly big truck. I will never go back to a honda or toyota, they were junk. I have been spoiled by my Trailblazer. I plan to keep it for a long time to come.

Favorite Features

Comfort. Great in any weather condition. I never felt safe in my honda and I feel very safe in my Trailblazer.

Suggested Improvements

I wish the console was a bit higher.

Be ready for Repairs
By Colorado

2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle with an extended warranty, thank heavens. Within a month they had to replace the whole engine due to valve problems, after 50000 miles transmission cracked in half. Also thankfully covered under warranty. 30000 miles later transmission out again. This time on my dollar. Also clicking noises constantly under the hood that no one can figure out. We do regular maintenance but the big things just keep adding up. I love my truck, the look, the handling, and space but I couldn't in good conscience recommend it to anyone with such costly repairs continuing every time we turn around. They have major problems with the engines in that year and the transmissions.

Suggested Improvements

They need a transmission that will hold up with the truck, especially when it comes with a tow package.

`02 Trailblazer
By dixonfam

2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I love this vehicle for the design and ride. Lots of room, heavy towing capacity, lots of cargo room. The ride is smooth. The sound system is not the best in the world, but hey, it beats riding in silence!

Favorite Features

The interior room and space to haul and leg room

Suggested Improvements

I HATE THE GAS MILEAGE!! I was so used to my Malibu getting 25-26, and now this one only gets 15 city, 19 hwy. It takes some getting used to having a drop in fuel economy. But it is a big motor!

GM's Electrical Nighmare
By buffalolaw

2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LTZ 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I drove past the vehicle on the lot for a couple of weeks. I couldn't wait to own it. Unfortunately, it has not been kind to me. Reduced engine light comes on frequently. It has been to the dealership 6 xs to get repaired for that. They replaced numerous electrical components only to tell me they are not sure what the problem is. The driver door module works when it wants to, so sometimes the door doesn't lock. The memory seat works when it wants to. Other than that, replaced suspension parts, and fuel sending unit. All of this happened from 50,000 to 90,000. Can't wait to get rid of it!

Favorite Features

Love the cup holders and automatic climate control. Leather seats are nice. Love rain sensing wipers! Overall, it is a very comfortable vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Electrical - Your own technicians can not fix these problems!

Solid family transportation
By Dean

2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LTZ 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2002 TB in May 2005 from the company I worked for. It was our vice president's vehicle. Therefore I knew it had been serviced regularly and well maintained. It had a 105,000 mile on it when I bought it and now had 159,000. In 2006 I had to replace the part that shifts the vehicle from 2WD to AWD, it cost about $400. I have not had any more problems with that part. I also have had problems with the hatch on the rear door. Sometimes it locks and sometimes it doesn't. I should have it looked at, but it doesn't happen that often, so I've learned to live with it. It's been very realiable transportation, and nice for hauling around a family of four. I drive 80% highway miles and avg 19.5/gal