Used 2004 Chevrolet TrailBlazer EXT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific TrailBlazer EXT model:

Great 7 Passenger Vehicle
By Tom Friedel

2004 Chevrolet TrailBlazer EXT LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I must admit, I love the Trailblazer. It is not fun to drive considering it is like an oversize station wagon, but it does ride smooth like a car which is a big plus. I don't know where all the gas mileage figures are coming from. The sticker says 15 city. Someone mentioned they obtained 15 in the city. We do not pull a trailer, drive very conservatively, have clean filters etc and are lucky to get 13 mpg in the city. This is unacceptable for a straight 6 engine. GM - Where is your competitive crossover vehicle for the 7 passenger Toyota Highlander?? The build quality is good. The vehicle drives nice, has plenty of torque and the 4x4 is great for hunting.

Great ride. This is a very smooth vehicle for a SUV. No truck feel at all. The seats are comfortable and the vehicle feels solid.

Improve the mileage. I don't understand with the technology how a inline straight 4.2 liter can get worse mileage or equivalent to an 8 cylinder 5.3 liter. Does GM need to make more refinements to the 4.2 liter. 13 mpg in the city is unacceptable.

Overall: Great Car
By Patric

2004 Chevrolet TrailBlazer EXT LT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I got this vehicle over 3 years ago and I'm still very happy with it. I really like the overall exterior and interior design, but there's one large flaw; you can't get 2nd row bucket seats, so it's difficult getting to the back row. I had a brake problem not very long after getting it, but since then, nothing bad has happened. It also gets decent fuel economy and has a good turn circle. Though it's expecting a redesign next year, so I'm looking forward to what GM brings to the table in the struggling SUV market

Wish I could of tried it out for a month
By wigglebritches

2004 Chevrolet TrailBlazer EXT LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

The test drive was fine, but actually using the vehicle was another story. Gas mileage is poor; we get about 9 mpg pulling our camper and about 14 mpg avg. highway & city. The suspension is soupy; it wobbles a lot around corners & over bumps. The storage is appalling; I can't carry passengers, a stroller and groceries; there just isn't enough room. The stroller also falls out when I open the back hatch since it is crammed in. Having two car seats means the seat which allows access to the back hooks the car seat when you try to fold it down. Folding the back seats down is no easy feat. Not enough storage for little stuff. Little to no leg room when purse, back packs & diaper bags are stowed.

Umm...it's blue?

If it is going to guzzle gas it might as well have room!! Room for people and the normal stuff they carry!!

Proud Trailblazer Owners
By millerps125

2004 Chevrolet TrailBlazer EXT LS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We bought because we wanted to be able to sit at least 6 without buying a minivan. The Trailblazer fits our budget, and is an overall wonderful fit for our family. The truck still has room for improvements but for the price it is very tough to complain. We have the 6 cyl. and still only manage 13-14 mgp city driving so the gas mileage is a downside. Plenty of room for the kids and still an extra row of seats with cargo room in the rear. With the 3rd row of seats up, the rear cargo area (between the back row and rear door) is larger than most other SUV's. We checked many others and this offered the most room.

Really enjoy the programmable garage door & gate openers. Plenty of console & overhead storage. Dual climate controls are a must when you have kids.

We were disappointed with a couple of things: no power mirrors included on base model (real pain when different drivers aren't the same height and you always have to manually change the mirrors). 3rd row seating didn't come with floor mats? Needs work to improve the flatness when 3rd row is down.

So Far So Good!
By Big Dog

2004 Chevrolet TrailBlazer EXT LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased as an "always wish I had one" car and ours was on the lot with all the goodies. Nav System could be a little easier to use but once you get the hang of it, it's great. DVD system too and it's been a suprise how often we use it with an 11 yr old. Gas mileage about what we thought, Very easy to drive and comfort is great. Have had electonics issues with the memory seats but handled well by the dealer. Very good trailer tow ability too, suspension is great.

XM RAdio, Seat Comfort, Heated Seats. Third seat that is real, all folded down give a ton of cargo room.

Look at Nav system for ease of use.