Good, honest, basic, cheap 4WD jeep
By MikeinMO on
2002 Chevrolet Tracker 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)
I bought the Tracker because it was the only GM model available locally with a 5-spd (I had GM$). The Tracker is not refined, comfortable, not a very good freeway car. It is fun to drive, great on dirt and gravel roads, gets better gas mileage than any SUV (24 avg), has decent cargo space and is reliable (check cons. rep.). It is much more Jeep-like than the CRV or RAV, but with GM$ and rebates it's about $5,000 cheaper. I chose the 5 speed 4cyl, which drives like a late 80s Japanese truck but feels rugged and is fun and economical. With 4WD, PW, PDL and cruise, I paid (after rebates) $14,500. I've had it for a year now, and like it more than when I first bought it.
Favorite Features
A surprisingly fun and useful car. It's gotten a bad rap from those comparing it to more refined small SUV's, but if you are looking for a good city or offroad SUV it is certainly worth considering.
Suggested Improvements
It is what it is - a cheap Japanese truck-like SUV. Everything feels a little less than solid. The engine feels very dated and not smooth.