Used 2002 Chevrolet Tracker SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Tracker - Consumer Reviews

2002 Chevrolet Tracker SUV

View reviews for a specific Tracker model:

Great tow and work vehicle
By T

2002 Chevrolet Tracker SUV 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Tracker is easy to park and gets very good gas mileage. We tow it behind our motorhome and it is very easy to hook up. The shift on the fly 4WD is great. I drive this vehicle to work on the interstate and in town and it handles well in all situations. If you're looking for a dependable tow vehicle or work vehicle this one will do the job.

Favorite Features

Size, Gas Mileage, Shift on the fly 4WD, Convertible top and sunnroof.

Suggested Improvements

More interior room in the back would be a plus.

My ZR2
By Yoshi

2002 Chevrolet Tracker SUV ZR2 4WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

Reliable and agile on snow, 4WD capabily on-the-fly is a nice touch, helps you save gas. I get very poor mileage, even in 2WD mode 95% of the times, I get 15-18 mpg, which is unexceptable given the fact that the truck is so light. It was build poorly as well, the drivers door is falling apart already after only 40K miles! The driver side visor also broke off. The trunk light inside never goes off! I have black tape over it. Asides the problems, its a very fun car to drive. Its quite fast, the light weight teamed with the V-6 makes it take off very quickly. Very noisy in the cabin, feels like it floats during light winds, or 80+ mph it swirvs left and right!

Favorite Features

Auto Day-Night Headlights. VERY fun to drive on dry, wet or even on snow. Turns very sharp for a truck 8 in off the ground. On-The-Fly 2WD to 4WD capability. Agility on heavy snow is impressive.

Suggested Improvements

Needs to be built with better quality materials. Wider and a bit higher tires to make it feel more stable, re-design the front fasia, better interior ergonomics.

Can't wait to get rid of it!!!
By mr853

2002 Chevrolet Tracker SUV ZR2 4WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this in 02 after my lease of my alero ran out. This is one of the worst cars I have ever owned. The wind moves you all over the road and during the winter it is even worse. Almost went in the ditch a couple of times from the semi's gust of wind blowing me over. I am getting an '05 Equinox LT fully loaded in a couple of weeks as I had to special order mine from Chevrolet. I am so looking forward to never driving this ever again. I don't recommend this car at all!!!

Favorite Features

Are there any good things about this?

Suggested Improvements

How about never making another one ever again!! It is way to small and underpowered for any normal driving.

Fun to drive
By Matt1965

2002 Chevrolet Tracker SUV 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Good milage for a 4wd. I avg 24-25mpg. Interior is a little cramped for long trips, plastic scratches easily & leaves white marks.

Favorite Features

2 section Soft Top,I like having an instant sun roof. Easy to park, turns tight. Fun to drive 5spd.

Suggested Improvements

Fold down Rear seat does not gain much more room for storage. It should have quick release, so that you can remove it. I wish mirrors folded in. I tend to bang & scrape them on mail boxes and drive thrus.

not a great choice
By BarbieCar

2002 Chevrolet Tracker SUV 2WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car new 2 yrs ago and while we havent had trouble with it mechanically, it was a bad choice. My husband was in a head on collision in this car at 40 mph and the airbag failed to deploy. Theres no room for luggage and passengers in this car, you have to chose one or the other. It gets blown all over the place on windy highways & bridges,& the steering is so tight that the wheel turns itself when the tires hit small bumps. It makes for a very swervy ride.The soft top makes a lot of noise while driving. Overall it is fun to drive in the summer, but if its going to be your only transportation, you may want to reconsider.

Favorite Features

It looks cute and is very zippy. Top down options are fun.

Suggested Improvements

Loosen the steering and work on airbag sensors.