Used 2002 Chevrolet Tracker ZR2 Consumer Reviews - 8 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Tracker - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tracker model:

Luv my ZR2 updated.
By Steve Little

2002 Chevrolet Tracker ZR2 4WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my Tracker ZR2 for nearly 14 years now. Had 7 miles on it back then. Only 86500 miles now, plus about 40000 towed four wheels down behind my motorhome. It has never, NEVER, failed me or my wife. It is a small,, nimble, fun little 4X4. I'll admit, there are better and more powerful drivers out there. But, after all these years, it's still clean, tight and fun to drive. Everything works like it did the day I bought it. Did have a rear oil seal fail under warranty. Nothing since. Putting on my 3rd set of tires now and we are heading out in a few weeks driving it 3400 miles to Florida to be our runabout at our winter home in Bradenton Beach.

Update: Now 4/2016. I'm more in love with my tracker than ever. We drove to Florida the end of November. The tracker was loaded with stuff including 2 or 3 hundred pounds on the hitch carrier. It performed flawlessly over the 6 day drive doing 500 to 700 miles a day. As a runabout car, it is great. Small enough to make a parking space most anywhere at the beach. 92k on it now . The body and mechanics are still as tight as when it was new.

Reliable
By Chris Jones

2002 Chevrolet Tracker ZR2 4WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

I drive my car harder and farther than most people; yet, I have had this car for 4 years and have never had a problem. Handles OK in snow w/ 4WD, would be better w/ a heavier back end.

4WD

'02 ZR2
By Steve

2002 Chevrolet Tracker ZR2 4WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Tracker ZR2 to tow behind our motorhome. Setup for towing four down is a breeze. Transmission in park - Transfer in neutral - key on access and go. Tow brackets are available off the shelf and are simple DIY bolt on. The bracket receivers pass through the grill without mods and when the hitch assembly is off they are next to invisible. I don't know it's behind my diesel pusher when towing. I love its size. I can make a parking spot most anywhere. It's manueverable and fun to drive.

Maunual transfer case with autolock hubs. Shift to 4WD on the fly. Fold almost flat rear seats. I'm a small guy and it fits me to a "T".

Can't be improved but it does walk around in the wind. It's a short wheel base SUV after all.

My ZR2
By Yoshi

Reliable and agile on snow, 4WD
capabily on-the-fly is a nice touch,
helps you save gas. I get very poor
mileage, even in 2WD mode 95% of the
times, I get 15-18 mpg, which is
unexceptable given the fact that the
truck is so light. It was build poorly
as well, the drivers door is falling
apart already after only 40K miles! The
driver side visor also broke off. The
trunk light inside never goes off! I
have black tape over it. Asides the
problems, its a very fun car to drive.
Its quite fast, the light weight teamed
with the V-6 makes it take off very
quickly. Very noisy in the cabin, feels
like it floats during light winds, or
80+ mph it swirvs left and right!

Auto Day-Night Headlights. VERY fun to drive on dry, wet or even on snow. Turns very sharp for a truck 8 in off the ground. On-The-Fly 2WD to 4WD capability. Agility on heavy snow is impressive.

Needs to be built with better quality materials. Wider and a bit higher tires to make it feel more stable, re-design the front fasia, better interior ergonomics.

Can't wait to get rid of it!!!
By mr853

Bought this in 02 after my lease of my
alero ran out. This is one of the
worst cars I have ever owned. The wind
moves you all over the road and during
the winter it is even worse. Almost
went in the ditch a couple of times
from the semi's gust of wind blowing me
over. I am getting an '05 Equinox LT
fully loaded in a couple of weeks as I
had to special order mine from
Chevrolet. I am so looking forward to
never driving this ever again. I don't
recommend this car at all!!!

Are there any good things about this?

How about never making another one ever again!! It is way to small and underpowered for any normal driving.