Needs Updating
By Jay on
2001 Chevrolet Tracker ZR2 4WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 4A)
Live in Upstate NY. Travel a lot for work. Vehicle handles great, good power, parks easy in the city, rides comfortable on long trips. Engine and transmission are flawless. Awesome offroad and towing. Here's the problem...I have had to replace numerous accessory items at high parts prices. Recent parts only expenses: Lower steering arm $400, AC compressor $520, Radiator hoses $38 each, calipers $530 per set. This all happened between 46k and 52k miles. I'm not getting scammed by repair men, I am a DIY type guy, and these items DID fail. For it's size it could get better mileage, 18-20 with minimal passengers or cargo. I'd like to keep it but am afraid of what will break next and at what cost.
Favorite Features
Pricing, Rack and Pinion Steering, Off Road Prowess, Front Seat Room and front Seat comfort. But I could get all that in a better all around vehicle.
Suggested Improvements
Fuel Economy: I could do about the same with a larger small midsize SUV. Rear Seating: not for adults, narrow doors(bad) and tall(good) but short (bad) leg room. Reliability/Repair costs: Parts for this vehicle cost 50- 80% more than other imports.(I checked) Planning to trade for a Subaru Forester.