2001 Chevrolet Tracker SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tracker model:
I miss my Chevy Tracker
By climberkev on 04/26/11 22:56 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Tracker SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I would recommend this mini SUV to anyone with a the need to economize, yet looking for fun reliable transportation. I drove the heck out of this car and over rough terrain even with out the 4x4 feature. Im one of those guys who packs so many essentials in my cars that I could live in them. I recommend the automatic transmission, changing the clutch is such a bother.

I love it, I love it!
By Tracker on 08/17/10 13:10 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Tracker SUV ZR2 4WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

It is the best car I have ever owned! I am single, and if a single person can only have one vehicle, I believe it should be a 4 wheel drive. I can get out in the snow, but stay away from ice. I love the way it looks, perfect for hauling stuff around. I've used it as a moving van three times now. I've never had a problem, other than general maintenance; replaced a headlight bulb, windshield wipers, tires, etc. I've never even had to have the brakes worked on. It's absolutely perfect for me. I use it for everything, work, play, church, driving to the beach. And when I take it up to the mountains, I feel like I'm driving a BMW! I am so thankful! Can't imagine why they stopped making it.

My Wife Loves It!
By Tevident on 06/20/09 19:42 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Tracker SUV LT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought our two tone black & Grey Tracker a little under a year now and it has amazed all that ride in it! i purchased way below edmunds private party price with low miles for a 2001 model (60,000) and the look and feel of the vehicle is amazing. My wife always comments on how she feels like its the little-big car! I'm always borrowing the tracker from her to use the cargo space it provides...Foldable rear seats and high roof work for me!

Catastrophic failure of subframe cross
By Deborah on 11/10/08 06:19 AM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Tracker SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have loved this little car except for the exhaust system rusted out easily. I can't expect perfection from a car. But GM had issued special coverage with an extended warrany to 10 years or 150k miles for the catastrophic failure of the subframe crossmember which did fracture on my vehicle at 95k miles. Very dangerous. They have not sent me notification of this problem yet, they say they are notifying owners in waves due to part availability. Not smart.

All around good, smaller SUV
By Rob on 09/23/08 10:48 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Tracker SUV ZR2 4WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

This car survived 2.5 winters in the Albany cold while being driven my a college student. While many friend's cars died due to the cold, my Tracker started anytime. The 4x4 is fun for the mountains, snow and the few times I was able to bring it off-road. The car is roomy for the two people in front, but has little space for the people in the back. I am 6'4" and fit in the car great, but rarely does someone sit behind me. Decent amount of room. I fit a 6 foot long bookcase inside and can handle a queen size bed on the top. I have had to put very little work into this car. Belts twice, alternator, front brakes, and front rotors. Under the hood this car is tight.

Love my Tracker
By LOVE MY TRACKER on 04/29/08 07:30 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Tracker SUV ZR2 4WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my Tracker for over 5 years and have 168,000 miles it. The only money I put into this vechile was for regular maintenance. It handles great in the snow! This was one of the best purchases I have ever made. I will keep until it dies!

expensive repairs
By young on 04/08/08 09:12 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Tracker SUV ZR2 4WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

My tracker does have 112,000 miles. It is in the shop again today for it's second rebuilt alternator. looking over since bought put about 3,000. in repairs. Brakes have been done four times, including roters. Also both rear brake springs broke and replaced. Belts broken & replaced and had to bypass A/C when broke due to astronomical price to replace. Last week power steering belt broken & replaced. Although it is still limping along, don't see much trade in value left.

My First Tracker
By ComputerNjip on 04/05/08 19:02 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Tracker SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My 2001 Chevy Tracker is my very first car. I love the fact that I never have to tuch the light switch. It's a very strong SUV. A couple months ago I hit a guardrail at 50 mph and went across the road into a ditch. It suffered little damage and I was pulled out of the ditch and was able to make it to work about 5 miles away. Compaired to the Expedition that was 400 yards up the road from me which was facing the ditch that had the same sort of accident as I did was undrivable. The accident I atribute to less the ideal tread depth on non LT tires.

4DR ZR2 4WD SUV 6cyl
By shelby on 12/27/07 04:28 AM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Tracker SUV ZR2 4WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle because I wanted a small SUV 4wd for Michigan winter driving and the price was reasonable compared to others. 95k miles later and no major problems to report. On windy days you do have to hang on to steering wheel tight and watch your blindspots on side and rearview mirrors. Rack and pinion steering is great. Also easy stepping in and out of vehicle. Seating could use a little more padding. Easy to drive.

Needs better mileage
By lou on 06/11/07 05:51 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Tracker SUV ZR2 4WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

Live in Michigan and commute 30 miles one way to work everyday. I cannot complain about my little SUV. I have had to replace an engine at about 80,000 miles, but even with a hole in the engine, my little SUV did not leave me stranded. It kept plugging along. I'm not real pleased with the gas mileage. I have to keep it above half a tank or it drinks the gas down something terrible, but then it does have 96,000 miles on it.