2001 Chevrolet Tracker Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet Tracker - Consumer Reviews

2001 Tracker Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tracker model:

Sort Reviews by

I miss my Chevy Tracker
By climberkev

2001 Chevrolet Tracker 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I would recommend this mini SUV to anyone with a the need to economize, yet looking for fun reliable transportation. I drove the heck out of this car and over rough terrain even with out the 4x4 feature. Im one of those guys who packs so many essentials in my cars that I could live in them. I recommend the automatic transmission, changing the clutch is such a bother.

Favorite Features

My favorite features on this car the versatility in camping and the amount of cargo storage. I mentioned earlier about easily living out of this car. If it had running water I'd consider it. What I loved, loved about this car was that if you slide the front seats all the way under the glove box or steering wheel and remove the head rests, the front seats recline completely level with the folded back seats. I used to hate the idea of car camping but with my tracker I just inflated my 6' double air mattress and me and my companion felt comfortable and secure. We could roll back the top part way and enjoy the stars. Today each time I shop for a new car I check to see how the seats recline lol.

Suggested Improvements

I wish Chevrolet or Suzuki had made the effort to market other ways to enjoy the Tracker/vitara. Next time Chevy designs a convertible mini SUV, offer a removable hard top. Also bringing it back with better fuel economy would be nice too. I also owned a Suzuki Samauri and that little 4x4 got great gas mileage.

I love it, I love it!
By Tracker

2001 Chevrolet Tracker ZR2 4WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

It is the best car I have ever owned! I am single, and if a single person can only have one vehicle, I believe it should be a 4 wheel drive. I can get out in the snow, but stay away from ice. I love the way it looks, perfect for hauling stuff around. I've used it as a moving van three times now. I've never had a problem, other than general maintenance; replaced a headlight bulb, windshield wipers, tires, etc. I've never even had to have the brakes worked on. It's absolutely perfect for me. I use it for everything, work, play, church, driving to the beach. And when I take it up to the mountains, I feel like I'm driving a BMW! I am so thankful! Can't imagine why they stopped making it.

Favorite Features

The looks, the size, plenty of room inside. Drives like a dream!

Suggested Improvements

Well, they aren't making anymore; what a shame. Hope mine lasts forever. I would have liked to have a sunroof. The gas mileage could be a little better. Other than that, it's perfect.

My Wife Loves It!
By Tevident

2001 Chevrolet Tracker LT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought our two tone black & Grey Tracker a little under a year now and it has amazed all that ride in it! i purchased way below edmunds private party price with low miles for a 2001 model (60,000) and the look and feel of the vehicle is amazing. My wife always comments on how she feels like its the little-big car! I'm always borrowing the tracker from her to use the cargo space it provides...Foldable rear seats and high roof work for me!

Favorite Features

automatic headlights turn on and off with a sensor...

Suggested Improvements

a lever on the front seats to raise the seat. a bit more leg room in the back for passengers....but its the Little- Big SuV...Women love riding in it! I love driving it!!

Catastrophic failure of subframe cross
By Deborah

2001 Chevrolet Tracker 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have loved this little car except for the exhaust system rusted out easily. I can't expect perfection from a car. But GM had issued special coverage with an extended warrany to 10 years or 150k miles for the catastrophic failure of the subframe crossmember which did fracture on my vehicle at 95k miles. Very dangerous. They have not sent me notification of this problem yet, they say they are notifying owners in waves due to part availability. Not smart.

Suggested Improvements

Better corrosion protection!

All around good, smaller SUV
By Rob

2001 Chevrolet Tracker ZR2 4WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

This car survived 2.5 winters in the Albany cold while being driven my a college student. While many friend's cars died due to the cold, my Tracker started anytime. The 4x4 is fun for the mountains, snow and the few times I was able to bring it off-road. The car is roomy for the two people in front, but has little space for the people in the back. I am 6'4" and fit in the car great, but rarely does someone sit behind me. Decent amount of room. I fit a 6 foot long bookcase inside and can handle a queen size bed on the top. I have had to put very little work into this car. Belts twice, alternator, front brakes, and front rotors. Under the hood this car is tight.

Favorite Features

4x4, fold down rear seats, ruff rack, oil change is easy, daytime lights, large inside (atleast for me.) Gas mileage is okay (17 city 25 highway with three adults and 50 pound dog) All around good car, best suited for those people who need to deal with snow. Strong front end.

Suggested Improvements

Have the rear door open curbside or up. Everything under the hood is very tight. Nothing really to improve on since you can't make the car bigger, but just a warning for those who like to do their own work. The belts were hard to do. Arm rest in middle of front. Not the greatest in the rain.

Love my Tracker
By LOVE MY TRACKER

2001 Chevrolet Tracker ZR2 4WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my Tracker for over 5 years and have 168,000 miles it. The only money I put into this vechile was for regular maintenance. It handles great in the snow! This was one of the best purchases I have ever made. I will keep until it dies!

expensive repairs
By young

2001 Chevrolet Tracker ZR2 4WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

My tracker does have 112,000 miles. It is in the shop again today for it's second rebuilt alternator. looking over since bought put about 3,000. in repairs. Brakes have been done four times, including roters. Also both rear brake springs broke and replaced. Belts broken & replaced and had to bypass A/C when broke due to astronomical price to replace. Last week power steering belt broken & replaced. Although it is still limping along, don't see much trade in value left.

Favorite Features

It was cute looking and mileage not bad.

Suggested Improvements

Better belts,alternator and Brakes. Has anyone even heard of such a thing as rear brake springs?

My First Tracker
By ComputerNjip

2001 Chevrolet Tracker 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My 2001 Chevy Tracker is my very first car. I love the fact that I never have to tuch the light switch. It's a very strong SUV. A couple months ago I hit a guardrail at 50 mph and went across the road into a ditch. It suffered little damage and I was pulled out of the ditch and was able to make it to work about 5 miles away. Compaired to the Expedition that was 400 yards up the road from me which was facing the ditch that had the same sort of accident as I did was undrivable. The accident I atribute to less the ideal tread depth on non LT tires.

Favorite Features

Compact SUV for offroading. Great gas mileage 24-26 mpg, power everything

Suggested Improvements

Audio, a little more overall weight, better performance ad-ons, heated seats and better overal interior design

4DR ZR2 4WD SUV 6cyl
By shelby

2001 Chevrolet Tracker ZR2 4WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle because I wanted a small SUV 4wd for Michigan winter driving and the price was reasonable compared to others. 95k miles later and no major problems to report. On windy days you do have to hang on to steering wheel tight and watch your blindspots on side and rearview mirrors. Rack and pinion steering is great. Also easy stepping in and out of vehicle. Seating could use a little more padding. Easy to drive.

Favorite Features

Rear seats fold down for extra cargo space, child safety locks, keyless entry

Suggested Improvements

More padding in seats. Window gutters

Needs better mileage
By lou

2001 Chevrolet Tracker ZR2 4WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

Live in Michigan and commute 30 miles one way to work everyday. I cannot complain about my little SUV. I have had to replace an engine at about 80,000 miles, but even with a hole in the engine, my little SUV did not leave me stranded. It kept plugging along. I'm not real pleased with the gas mileage. I have to keep it above half a tank or it drinks the gas down something terrible, but then it does have 96,000 miles on it.

Favorite Features

4x4 on the fly

Suggested Improvements

If they were going to bring back the Tracker I would suggest they change the way the back door opens. It should open from the right (curbside) instead of the left (traffic side).