Peppy and fun to drive
By piasa on
2000 Chevrolet Tracker 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top
I've owned my Tracker since Dec of 99. I bought it while I was in the Navy for a fuel friendly and peppy car for the San Diego area. The engine is a little under powered, but with k&n filters, cherry bomb muffler, and megaphone style exhaust tip, mine seems to have picked up a little bounce in its step if you know what I mean. I owned it less than six months before I put it on a trail in San Diego. The Uniroyal tires that were stock on it did a good job holding onto the rocks, and its footing only wavered when a large rose quartz stone under the left front shattered and I slid about ten feet. But I'd say these are vastly underestimated litte 4x4s.
Favorite Features
I like the ease of the 4wd shift on the fly, and the rack and pinion steering. Having the option for the 2.0L instead of the 1.6L was a nice touch as well. As is its ability to mount 30" tires without a lift kit.
Suggested Improvements
I would like to see more aftermarket performance parts. More agressive cams and timming blocks, performance headers, turbo systems, body/suspension lift kits, limited slip rear and front difs.