Used 2000 Chevrolet Tracker Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Chevrolet Tracker - Consumer Reviews

2000 Chevrolet Tracker

View reviews for a specific Tracker model:

Peppy and fun to drive
By piasa

2000 Chevrolet Tracker 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

I've owned my Tracker since Dec of 99. I bought it while I was in the Navy for a fuel friendly and peppy car for the San Diego area. The engine is a little under powered, but with k&n filters, cherry bomb muffler, and megaphone style exhaust tip, mine seems to have picked up a little bounce in its step if you know what I mean. I owned it less than six months before I put it on a trail in San Diego. The Uniroyal tires that were stock on it did a good job holding onto the rocks, and its footing only wavered when a large rose quartz stone under the left front shattered and I slid about ten feet. But I'd say these are vastly underestimated litte 4x4s.

Favorite Features

I like the ease of the 4wd shift on the fly, and the rack and pinion steering. Having the option for the 2.0L instead of the 1.6L was a nice touch as well. As is its ability to mount 30" tires without a lift kit.

Suggested Improvements

I would like to see more aftermarket performance parts. More agressive cams and timming blocks, performance headers, turbo systems, body/suspension lift kits, limited slip rear and front difs.

Use of my Tracker since new
By RogerD

2000 Chevrolet Tracker 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

I purchased this vehicle new for a towed vehicle behind my motorhome. It was one of few light weight vehicles that could be towed 4 down. It has only 26000 miles as of this date, and I use it almost daily. I have had no problems with it and except for some wind noise, and low horsepower, I think it is a great vehicle and plan to keep it until the wheels fall off. Thanks

Favorite Features

Can be towed four down behind motorhome. Ability to use as a convertable on good days. Very easy vehicle to drive in traffic.

Suggested Improvements

Availability of after market accessories. More horsepower. Manual freewheeling hubs.

Must have been built on a Friday
By whocares

2000 Chevrolet Tracker 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased the tracker new in late 2000. Got the no frills, basic 5 speed model. At approximately 3,000 miles loud squeaks and squeals came from engine transmission area. I told dealer I thought it was trans but he supposedly changed water pump. Went back and forth changing parts finally trans 5th gear blew at 65,000 others are not far behind. Directional and electrical wires grounded out between firewall and trans. oil seals began leaking heavily at 70,000. Built by Suzuki but not as dependable as Samurai I have.

Favorite Features

Very good in snow mud and even ice with studs. Gas mileage is great for an SUV. Rides suprisingly well on rough woods roads. Roll down window option. SDtill runs at 110,000. Tires last quite a while.

Suggested Improvements

Quality control. 4x4 shifter will not reliably engage on days below 10 degrees. Needs to have passenger side air bag off switch so one of the kids could sit in front when needed. Gas cap door rusted and broke off 2nd year.

Fun to drive!
By ekostak

2000 Chevrolet Tracker 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

This is a fun car to drive. It has great response in 2 and 4 wheel drive. With a decent set of tires this suv will climb anything. Its small enough to go anywhere and will turn on a dime. I would like to see a little more power and the interior could use a little upgrade. Ofcourse with a price as low as it is those things are expected. This suv is a steal for the going prices.

Favorite Features

4WD. Softtop. Comfort. Space

Suggested Improvements

Interior. Power

Excellent as winter Station Wagon
By Mainer

2000 Chevrolet Tracker 4dr SUV 4WD

No problems with vehicle as such. I just wish that the back door opened up or split up and down. It is sometimes difficult to get enough room in a parking lot to open the door. The automatic transmission works excellent and the cargo size is adequate practically with the back seat down.

Favorite Features

Station Wagon with 4-wheel drive for winter driving.

Suggested Improvements

The back door needs to lock automatically with the key release on the door and a handle at the driver's side to unlock it. It also needs a red light if unlocked so that the driver doesn't have to constantly go by the door and pull the handle to see if it is locked or not.