2000 Chevrolet Tracker - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tracker model:
Save your money - buy something else.
By smileydd68 on 02/27/13 20:26 PM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Tracker 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased this vehicle used with 132k miles on it. Figured I was safe after reading all the great reviews on this site. Boy was I mistaken. Within one month the timing belt needed replaced and door latch needed repaired. The handle alone was over 100.00 for the part. Two weeks later the motor went. Was one repair bill after another. Found out later that the motor is a common problem with this year which is why the repairs are so costly.

Impressed me!
By stuckinsopa on 04/26/11 18:29 PM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Tracker 4dr SUV 4WD

We've had our Tracker since Sept 99. No expensive issues not covered under warranty.On our third exhaust system from converter back. To be fair though, snapped off the first two (don't ask!) Really aggressive tires are a must if you plan to off road. Wind roar is bad, but thats after 4 deer in 5 years. Body panels don't allign quite as good as when new.Wind WILL shift lanes for you.

Think Twice
By Eng on 02/16/10 16:44 PM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Tracker 4dr SUV 4WD

I have read the many posts on these however they are not as reliable as most think. LOOK VERY CLOSELY IF YOU ARE BUYING ONE FROM UP NORTH! The rust issues for these are pathetic. There is no underbody coating on these and even though the vehicle might look nice on the outside.. the underside of these are eaten up. I mean rusty leaky oil pans, brake lines, inner rocker panels. Also.. be sure to test the auto locking 4WD hubs. Most owners never service these and they will not engage in 4WD even though the light says it's on. The 4 cyl is a good engine but fuel economy is not very good. 21 MPG HWY is about as good as it gets.

A great little SUV
By dan on 01/30/10 12:07 PM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Tracker 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had a few of these and the 4 CYL engine is the way to go. The v-6 seems to have timing belt noise issues and does not hold up any near as long as the 4 cyl. These have no real towing ability and seem to eat front brakes. The body panels dent easily. The power steering rack and pinion also is known to leak. All in all it will go about anywhere and has ample heat and AC. I have seen the 4 cyl models with well over 180K miles on them with no issues. A safe bet for a used vehicle. It it hard to buy them at the market prices... these hold their value quite well.

Keeps on rolling
By maggie on 08/28/09 04:27 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Tracker 2dr SUV w/Soft Top

My Tracker has been in my family coming up on 9 years now. Bought it new in Dec 2000. Mine is the rear wheel drive, soft top version. It has a manual transmission. I (the mom) drove it for 7 years with never a problem. Outside of routine maintenance, it has cost me no money. My son bought it from me 2 years when stationed in sunny southern CA. Again, no problems with it. Routine maintenance only. He recently drove it cross country, from CA to VA with no problem at all. Very soon, he will be purchasing a newer car and the Tracker will go to his younger sister who is in college. For basic transportation, with no bells and whistles, this is a great little car.

Peppy and fun to drive
By piasa on 08/15/08 10:13 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Tracker 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

I've owned my Tracker since Dec of 99. I bought it while I was in the Navy for a fuel friendly and peppy car for the San Diego area. The engine is a little under powered, but with k&n filters, cherry bomb muffler, and megaphone style exhaust tip, mine seems to have picked up a little bounce in its step if you know what I mean. I owned it less than six months before I put it on a trail in San Diego. The Uniroyal tires that were stock on it did a good job holding onto the rocks, and its footing only wavered when a large rose quartz stone under the left front shattered and I slid about ten feet. But I'd say these are vastly underestimated litte 4x4s.

Use of my Tracker since new
By RogerD on 12/05/07 09:53 AM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Tracker 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

I purchased this vehicle new for a towed vehicle behind my motorhome. It was one of few light weight vehicles that could be towed 4 down. It has only 26000 miles as of this date, and I use it almost daily. I have had no problems with it and except for some wind noise, and low horsepower, I think it is a great vehicle and plan to keep it until the wheels fall off. Thanks

Must have been built on a Friday
By whocares on 05/01/07 19:31 PM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Tracker 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased the tracker new in late 2000. Got the no frills, basic 5 speed model. At approximately 3,000 miles loud squeaks and squeals came from engine transmission area. I told dealer I thought it was trans but he supposedly changed water pump. Went back and forth changing parts finally trans 5th gear blew at 65,000 others are not far behind. Directional and electrical wires grounded out between firewall and trans. oil seals began leaking heavily at 70,000. Built by Suzuki but not as dependable as Samurai I have.

Fun to drive!
By ekostak on 02/22/07 09:55 AM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Tracker 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

This is a fun car to drive. It has great response in 2 and 4 wheel drive. With a decent set of tires this suv will climb anything. Its small enough to go anywhere and will turn on a dime. I would like to see a little more power and the interior could use a little upgrade. Ofcourse with a price as low as it is those things are expected. This suv is a steal for the going prices.

Excellent as winter Station Wagon
By Mainer on 11/28/05 16:06 PM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Tracker 4dr SUV 4WD

No problems with vehicle as such. I just wish that the back door opened up or split up and down. It is sometimes difficult to get enough room in a parking lot to open the door. The automatic transmission works excellent and the cargo size is adequate practically with the back seat down.