Not what I expected.
By DKJones96 on
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4dr SUV
I bought this car to replace my Toyota Cressida. Big mistake. In 9 months and 12k miles, I've had to replace the alternator that actually left me stranded, blower fan, the radiator's fiberglass end-caps have cracked and started leaking, the tensioner and idler pully were worn very badly, and the car has 75K on it and none of those items are maintenance related. Repair is expensive. The electric fan breaks off the fins on the condenser hurting a/c performance a lot. The body squeaks, and the cheap plastic tabs all need replaced. They either fall off or break when removed. Mileage in 70/30 hwy/city averages 19MPG. Not impressive for a 4 banger, and it's slow.
Favorite Features
High ground clearance. 4WD upgrade is a bolt-in affair. Suspension suprising level of articulation. 5.125 final drive climbs well, and accelerates the same fully loaded or empty. Stereo sounds good. Lots of room to haul stuff. A 52" DLP fits in the back with seats down. Map lights.
Suggested Improvements
Mileage. Parts reliablility. Body too cheaply made. No lumbar support. Cheaper replacement parts since they're needed so often.