1999 Chevrolet Tracker - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tracker model:
tracker
By cre on 03/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Tracker 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

do not like the headrest in the back seat,they obstruct the rear view

Great Rig!
By HRalph on 02/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Tracker 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

Was looking at a Kia Sportage. However, during the test drive, found it rocked forward and back on bumps. Saw a 2dr/5sp/conv tracker on the lot and took it for a spin. No rocking there. Have had it for 3.5 years and have had no problems. Got the 1.6L and it does great on gas-27mpg-and has enough power to do what I need. Kids love the wind blowing in their faces with the top down. Driven it off-road some, but mostly as a run around car with some highway. Had to get used to the high- center in the wind. Went to motorbooks.com for the right Haynes manual as I could not find the correct manual anywhere else.

What's Not-So-Good About this Car
By Dawnie on 12/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4dr SUV

Had no problems for 3 years, in the 4th year it's almost coming apart. I've had to replace the brakes, the computer, the ignition switch, the cruise-control/windshield wiper lever, and an internal ignition function - all after warranty, except for the computer. I've had to get a front-end alignment twice. I might contribute all the problems with not keeping up with maintenance, but as I rely on my car so much, I'm careful in that area. I am at 60,000 miles now, and my transmission is starting to get sluggish - every so often the car seems to struggle with shifting gears. At this point I'm looking for a new car, because I'm getting tired of all the problems.

Tracking the fun
By nospam on 09/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4dr SUV 4WD

This tracker has been a great car! It's the 4wheel drive, 4 door and we generally drive it over our Mercedes E class. Mileage is around 25mpg on the road, very responsive handling, reliable car. We love it!

Fun lil' mini SUV
By Amanda-Lou on 06/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4dr SUV

I just bought one today and Man! I love it! It's amazing how much head room and rear room is in that little thing. Great stereo sound and wonderful panoramic view of the road. Overall, Great first SUV for young hip drivers! (like myself!)

1999 Tracker
By boameister on 05/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Tracker 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

Park it anywhere and not worry about anyone being too interested in it. Does what I want it to do. Didn't cost that much for a new car and goes where I want it to (including 18 inches of snow) and can pop the top in Summer. Wanted a car which will sell easily later on (teens like it). Never had a problem other than a bad differential fluid being put in it. Not much room in the back, but it's not for traveling around the country. Here and there, that's all.

Cost Saving Fun
By rjw on 03/12/02 10:42 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4dr SUV 4WD

Just a quick note to say that I totally disagree with Edmund's review of the tracker. I have found my tracker to be fun to drive, fuel efficient and reliable. It is more than capable on back roads and on snowy main roads. It has started every day no matter what the temperature outside. The driving position is fantastic. Poop on Edmund's for making people of average incomes feel inferior for not driving more expensive vehicles.

NOT FOR EVERYBODY, BUT LOTS OF FUN
By over_the_hill on 02/28/02 14:15 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Tracker 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

Puchased used with 25,000 miles. Performance ratings, etc. are for a vehicle of this size & powerplant. Quite a few problems (all eventually resolved by GM under warranty) with plastic parts, but mechanically no problems at all. Really a two adult vehicle, children or small adults would fit in back. Overall, not for those seeking lots of luxury or room, but for those young or young at heart who want 4WD, a convertible, and good fuel economy (23-26 mpg) in one fun package.