Used 1999 Chevrolet Tracker Consumer Reviews - 29 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chevrolet Tracker - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tracker model:

Never broke down in 8 years
By KennyS

1999 Chevrolet Tracker 2dr SUV w/Soft Top

This car has never broken down once since December 1999 with only 400 miles to start with. I changed the oil religiously and never drove crazy. I've recently had the brake pads changed for the first time in 8 years. I'll be driving this car over 2,000 miles from TX to WA so I'll really be testing it now. The exterior black plastic runner along the driver's side door has come unglued and is about the only noticable defect. I don't know if I'm just lucky or if I have the only Tracker that was built to last.

Good gas mileage, compact size made it easy to park almost anywhere. Also super easy to make U turns in one motion

Would be better to have a removable had top instead of the standard soft top, but at $2,000+ to add that feature it's not cost effective

1999 4WD Automatic Conv.
By eaoreilly

1999 Chevrolet Tracker 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

I bought this car for it's 4WD capacity. I live on a hill, and in snowy winters, it's great, and I love it. It's got 111,000 miles on it now, and the only real problems that I've had is with the wheel bearings giving out and the 4WD having some problems, but other than that, I'd purchase this car again in a heartbeat!

The convertible top is definitely one of the better features.

Better gas mileage. More robust bearing and 4WD assembly. Make the convertible again!

Not what I expected.
By DKJones96

1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4dr SUV

I bought this car to replace my Toyota Cressida. Big mistake. In 9 months and 12k miles, I've had to replace the alternator that actually left me stranded, blower fan, the radiator's fiberglass end-caps have cracked and started leaking, the tensioner and idler pully were worn very badly, and the car has 75K on it and none of those items are maintenance related. Repair is expensive. The electric fan breaks off the fins on the condenser hurting a/c performance a lot. The body squeaks, and the cheap plastic tabs all need replaced. They either fall off or break when removed. Mileage in 70/30 hwy/city averages 19MPG. Not impressive for a 4 banger, and it's slow.

High ground clearance. 4WD upgrade is a bolt-in affair. Suspension suprising level of articulation. 5.125 final drive climbs well, and accelerates the same fully loaded or empty. Stereo sounds good. Lots of room to haul stuff. A 52" DLP fits in the back with seats down. Map lights.

Mileage. Parts reliablility. Body too cheaply made. No lumbar support. Cheaper replacement parts since they're needed so often.

1999 Chevy Tracker
By Jack

1999 Chevrolet Tracker 2dr SUV w/Soft Top

During the first 5 months of ownership, the dealer had the transmission out 5 times due to broken synchronizers. The last time, they checked, and found a service bulletin from the factory that a few transmissions were built without a certain synco kit. When they replaced it in my tranny, that was the last of my problems. Other than that, this is as close to the perfect car that I have ever found. Fun to drive, (5-speed), quick acceleration, I can carry two adults comfortably in the back seat. Best of all is the gas milage. I have the 2.0L engine, 5-speed, two wheel drive. No matter how I drive the Tracker, I get 30 mpg. I took the car on a 2K mile trip and never got tired of sitting in it.

Gas mileage, fun factor, open air driving

I'm not kidding, without spending a lot of money in design (thus making it more expensive), the car is pretty much just the way I would have designed it.

Not bad for a girl car
By thejester157

1999 Chevrolet Tracker 2dr SUV w/Soft Top

I thought when I bought this car I was buying a girl car, but getting a good deal for the money I paid. I was plesantly surprised that this car is fantastic and really fits my needs. It is my family's second car and fits perfectly in that role. Not the best for family's or long road trips, But it can drive in town with the best of them. I have found that i get sufficent gas milage. Plus it fits neatly into small places.

I like the small turning radius and the sporty feel to the drive.

More interior options and cushions