Used 1999 Chevrolet Tracker SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chevrolet Tracker SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tracker model:

A lot of fun
By steadc

1999 Chevrolet Tracker SUV 2dr SUV w/Soft Top

I bought my Tracker for my first car and I learned how to drive manual on it. It's so much fun to drive and I get pretty good gas mileage. The only thing that's had to be replaced is the clutch and soon to be the tires and top.

Sunroof and soft top.

A better sounding engine would be nice, mine reminds me of a toy car. :]

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By GEO Fan

1999 Chevrolet Tracker SUV 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

This car is the most versatile, fun vehicle I've ever owned. It gets 29 mpg w plenty of power from the 2.0 engine. 4WD goes through any mountain snow storm. I take it up steep mountain dirt trails in a foot of snow. I go off-roading in the summer in rural Appalachia driving though streams, ATV trails & deep mud. I use it as a commuter economy car during the week. More reliable than the Corolla/Prizm's, better MPG & 4WD than Suburu's I've owned. The only problem was with the transmission. Needed rebuilt at 116,000. Otherwise it's still like new after 10 years/122,000 miles. I plan on driving it over 200k just as I have w Suburu's & GEO Prizm's. My next vehicle - another Tracker.

Put this back into production GM. You discontinued all of your most fuel efficient, fun and reliable vehicles which all happened to be part of the GEO line (Traker, Prizm, Metro). Bring back GEO!

Love my Tracker
By OVUgirl

1999 Chevrolet Tracker SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Tracker on a lark, just out looking one Saturday. What a great find it was and still is. Tracker had 44,000 miles on it in 2004 and now has 122,000 with nothing but regular oil changes, brakes, tires and a timing belt. This is a great little SUV and really fun to drive or go muddin with. I can throw all kinds of mud on my friends expensive trucks and SUVs! It's a riot. Best vehicle I ever bought, and I bought my first in 1968.

Wouldn't want to ever have an auto. 5-speed is the only tranny for me!

Economical, Reliable 4 Wheel Drive
By Bruce A Goetz

1999 Chevrolet Tracker SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

Fun to drive, handles well suprisingly roomy inside. Underpowered on highway, but economy is good tradeoff, never less than 19 MPG to 24 highway. Reliable - 140,000 miles & still going strong. Only garage work required was AC Fan (AC has been somewhat of a pronblem since); oil leak repaired. OEM Uniroyal tigerpaws ran 130,000 miles - first brake job needed at 136,000! Great in the snow! Seats uncomfortable for over 1 hr drives, strong winds at highway speeds affect handling. Drove hard 125 miles a day for 1 1/2 yrs over 2 winters, 4WD made slippery roads very manageable. 4WD, CD, cruise, ABS, power windows Oh my! Great hunting/fishing SUV, pulls 20' boat easily for under 20 mile trip.

Fun to drive. Great sounding CD, 4WD handles well in snow, ice & mud. Nimble, easy to park, mechanically sound and reliable. Solid feel, good view of road. Easy to back.

More powerful engine (if you don't have to sacrifice fuel economy). More comfortable seats. Redesign rear headrests, I removed them - now have great rear vision.

Never broke down in 8 years
By KennyS

1999 Chevrolet Tracker SUV 2dr SUV w/Soft Top

This car has never broken down once since December 1999 with only 400 miles to start with. I changed the oil religiously and never drove crazy. I've recently had the brake pads changed for the first time in 8 years. I'll be driving this car over 2,000 miles from TX to WA so I'll really be testing it now. The exterior black plastic runner along the driver's side door has come unglued and is about the only noticable defect. I don't know if I'm just lucky or if I have the only Tracker that was built to last.

Good gas mileage, compact size made it easy to park almost anywhere. Also super easy to make U turns in one motion

Would be better to have a removable had top instead of the standard soft top, but at $2,000+ to add that feature it's not cost effective