Used 1999 Chevrolet Tracker Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chevrolet Tracker - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tracker model:

Not what I expected.
By DKJones96

1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4dr SUV

I bought this car to replace my Toyota Cressida. Big mistake. In 9 months and 12k miles, I've had to replace the alternator that actually left me stranded, blower fan, the radiator's fiberglass end-caps have cracked and started leaking, the tensioner and idler pully were worn very badly, and the car has 75K on it and none of those items are maintenance related. Repair is expensive. The electric fan breaks off the fins on the condenser hurting a/c performance a lot. The body squeaks, and the cheap plastic tabs all need replaced. They either fall off or break when removed. Mileage in 70/30 hwy/city averages 19MPG. Not impressive for a 4 banger, and it's slow.

High ground clearance. 4WD upgrade is a bolt-in affair. Suspension suprising level of articulation. 5.125 final drive climbs well, and accelerates the same fully loaded or empty. Stereo sounds good. Lots of room to haul stuff. A 52" DLP fits in the back with seats down. Map lights.

Mileage. Parts reliablility. Body too cheaply made. No lumbar support. Cheaper replacement parts since they're needed so often.

mine
By rick0829

1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4dr SUV

like really well fun car to drive wish it had more power but i really enjoy the fuel milage and back trunk room would buy another with the v6

fun car to drive realiablity is great

more power

What's Not-So-Good About this Car
By Dawnie

1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4dr SUV

Had no problems for 3 years, in the 4th year it's almost coming apart. I've had to replace the brakes, the computer, the ignition switch, the cruise-control/windshield wiper lever, and an internal ignition function - all after warranty, except for the computer. I've had to get a front-end alignment twice. I might contribute all the problems with not keeping up with maintenance, but as I rely on my car so much, I'm careful in that area. I am at 60,000 miles now, and my transmission is starting to get sluggish - every so often the car seems to struggle with shifting gears. At this point I'm looking for a new car, because I'm getting tired of all the problems.

Love the interior, cruise control, gas mileage, smooth ride. The design of the dash is wonderful - never have to fumble to change stations/adjust settings.

Definately need to improve the mechanical aspects. It seems Chevy changed the exterior of the Geo Tracker and slapped their name on it, but did little with the engine. Too many problems for me to think about keeping this car long-term, which is what I originally planned on doing.

Fun lil' mini SUV
By Amanda-Lou

1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4dr SUV

I just bought one today and Man! I love it! It's amazing how much head room and rear room is in that little thing. Great stereo sound and wonderful panoramic view of the road. Overall, Great first SUV for young hip drivers! (like myself!)

The map lights, storage, seats are comfortable, airbags, and pretty much everything else!

THe only thing I would improve would be to have a factory CD player in mine!