2016 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV Consumer Reviews - 18 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tahoe model:

2016 Tahoe is junk
By tahoe2016

2016 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

This Tahoe is not well built at all. It had problems from day one when purchased may 2016. It came from the factory with the doors the the out side not even at all and the dealership we bought it from could not figure out how to fix it. Also there was defected trim peices and the leather seats had spots in it as well as the rear door plastic pannel. I had the lt z71 package with texas edition package. Also it had A/C problems when it was above 90 f out the compressor would cut off and a low pitch rumble sound when it went to v4 mode. Two Chevy dealerships could not figure out how to fix the probems and GM did not have a fix and the customer service department does not care either. It took them over a month to contact me back after a case number was set and none of the issues ever got fixed with the vehicle. After owning it for 4 months with 6500 miles on it and the chevy delaerships and GM not caring to fix the problem or buy back the vehicle I decided it was best that I take a loss on it instead of it being in the shop all the time and dealing with dealerships and GM customer service that does not care at all. I traded it for a Toyota product and have been very happy with it so far. I have owned a 2001 4wd LS and 2012 4wd LTZ tahoe but this one was the worst. I can see why the 2015 and newer models were on the top 20 unreliable vehicles this year. The older tahoes that I had were much better build. I would not recommend this vehicle at all until GM decided to spend the time and Produce the vehicle right. Also I lost over 20% of the value when I traded it in as well cause it is marked up to much and it even cost more that a Lincoln navigator.

Worst Decision We Ever Made
By Andy

2016 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

My wife wanted to upgrade to a full size SUV from a Honda Pilot. We did some research and test driving, and she concluded that the Tahoe was the one. She loved the look, and like the amenities. The problems started on the test drive, the radio kept freezing up and acting weird. The dealer was made aware of the issue and we were told we needed to use a factory iphone cable and the problem should be resolved. We swapped our iphone cable for a brand new factory cable, and for the next day the problem went away. We purchased the truck the following day. After the purchase on the drive home, the problem returned. We called the dealer, and they said, well it needs a software update, it's a known issue. So in to the dealership to a software update. Software flashed, tested, they say you are good to go. A few days later, the problem returns, we contact the dealer, now the story changed. They knew almost instantly it was a human interface controller board and the part was back ordered from Chevrolet for an unknown amount of time. They kept the vehicle for the week to fix a few other issues and then we received it back knowing the problem was there, but the part was ordered, and the regional chevrolet rep was in the mix to try and expedite this service request. At this point we are fairly upset with the whole situation. Brand new car, and not once has it been right. Over the next 2 months, roughly 10 electrical gremlins have reared their ugly head in this truck. Here are a few: headlights randomly switch to high beams, pedals won't adjust, front and rear parking sensors randomly think we are going to hit something even when nothing is around, front camera errors constantly, hvac control back lighting failures, memory seats haven't worked since day one, all of which has been communicated to my dealership and to chevrolet directly, we basically were going to wait for this inteface controller part to come in and try to tackle everything at that time, thinking that the part should fix most of the issues. Then after 2 months of dealing with all these problems, finally a glimpse of hope... I received a call from my dealer that the controller board arrived from chevy. Hooray for now!!! The dealer was nice enough to pickup my truck at my work, and drop me off another Tahoe as a loaner until mine was fixed. I received a call that night, everything was fixed, they will keep it one additional day for testing, then they will drop it off for me at work. I got scared that next morning when the loaner tahoe had the same radio problem that my tahoe has... I was assured by my dealer that everything is fixed, and that between the controller and software updates everything is 100%! On my drive home the parking sensors went crazy on me. This was 10 miles down the road after being told it's all fixed. The radio seemed ok at least, so we decided to give it a few more days before it goes back in. Well the next morning, the radio went crazy again. We sent video to the dealer showing the problem, and now we are apparently waiting to see what Chevy and the dealer want to do. So here we are, MSRP of $64k, and the truck has multiple major systems failing, all electrical. My recommendation is to wait until the bugs are out of this vehicle!!!!! I know multiple people with 2015 and 2016 Tahoes, Yukons, and Escalades, all of them have had major electrical issues.

Feels like home.
By Happy TX Grandma

2016 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

Thought I would try a smaller SUV for more economic efficiency, so I traded in my 2009 Suburban (at 186,000 miles) a year ago for a Toyota 4-Runner, Limited Edition. While it was a nice vehicle, it never got over 18 mph. My suburban routinely got 20+ mpg hwy. Also, the 4-Runner didn't have near the "creature comforts" tht my new Tahoe has. Chevrolet tech gadgets, comfort, and control panel is far superior to the 4-Runner. My new 2016 Tahoe LT feels like home!

Overall A Great Vehicle, But Needs Improvement
By Alex M

2016 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

Overall, we have been impressed with our 2016 Tahoe. We are especially impressed with the design of the interior and the technology packaging. The infotainment is very easy to use and is very responsive. Although we would rate this vehicle at 5 out of 5 stars, we have had some interior quality and safety tech issues. Within the first month of owning our Tahoe, the lane keeping assist and forward collision alert simply quit working. We took it in to our dealership where they kept out Tahoe for at least 2 weeks and were very thorough with the investigation and solution to the problem. Our interior quality problem is very minor, but we have never had this problem with any Ford, Toyota, or Mazda we have owned. The problem is the plastic pieces in the bottom of the door pulls keep popping out and is very annoying. We have had them replaced to try to solve the issue of them fitting, but they keep popping out. As far as performance and road manners, the Tahoe seems to be stable and has ample power. Our only complaint about the powertrain is the transmission, which is very quick to upshift when accelerating. The main issue is when we want to take off with a certain amount of throttle, then add more throttle, which causes the transmission to seemingly hesitate and jerk into the next gear when the transmission should hold the previous gear longer. Overall, the 2016 Tahoe is a practical and useful full size SUV, but GM needs to make powertrain and interior quality improvements. An 8 speed transmission may be the solution to the transmission issue over the current 6 speed.

Disappointed:(
By Jon

2016 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I traded in a 2012 Tahoe with 115k miles which I loved. Expectations were high with new 2016 Tahoe but as with our Presidential candidates I'm feeling a little uninspired!! Electronics and command response is lethargic. There is a annoying delay in response with all commands even the door locks take longer than they should. Changing radio channels with steering wheels controls has a much longer delay than the 2012 Tahoe. The key remote needs to be simplified, the rear window and rear door buttons look too similar which is confusing to operate. I want to open rear door and the darn window pops open " Just put W for window and D for door!!" Not some cute symbols that look alike; if people can't read they shouldn't be driving! Also the computer has the motor reving up to unreasonable rpms before shifting. I thought they sold me a 6cyl by accident!! If you mildly accelerate the thing revs up like an Indy car! Its embarrassing leaving a stop light, everyone under 30 thinks I'm trying to drag race them!! Maybe my standards have been elevated owning a BMW but come on chevy your trending backwards!:-(