Used 2005 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tahoe model:

Don't Buy One
By azvincent

2005 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased my Tahoe new in 05. Big mistake. Since week one, I had nothing but problems. I owned the vehicle a little over three years and only had 15k on the odometer when I finally got rid of it. With only 15k miles, I had the Tahoe at the dealership 14 times for multiple problems from minor to major. I was actually told by a representative at the dealer “Who knows, maybe the car was built on a Friday”. I took a huge bath on the depreciation but it was well worth the cost to get it out of my driveway. I replaced the Tahoe with a Subaru Forester and have been happy ever since. If you have money to throw away, by all means drive a Tahoe. I don’t think GM will ever figure it out.

Interior room.

Reliability, gas mileage, warranty, quality, road noise, dealer service and overall value for your money.

Rock Steady..One Owner...60k miles
By Peter C.

2005 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Bought it new after exhaustive research and have loved it since day 1. No major (or for that matter even minor) repairs - just oil changes and other regularly scheduled maintenance. Have 2 little kids and 2 dogs so it's been on some long vacation road trips and been perfect for that and for just tooling around town. Easy to drive and not afraid to go "off-road" (I'm in Arizona-partly rural area). Been in it for over 3 years now and am still in the honeymoon phase - just a great vehicle! Get about 18mpg overall.

DVD player (necessity with kids). Reliability. Easy to drive. Look, durability

Heavy 3rd row seats that don't fold down

So far so good
By Steve

2005 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Just picked up a nice used Z71 in Bermuda Blue at a Chevy dealer. It was a good time to buy in New England since values have could down a lot do to gas prices and the economy. Had two Nissan Pathfinders so making my way back to owning a Chevy again and I hope I'm not disappointed. The truck fits our needs since I can take it on my hunting trips and on the beach surf fishing. It drives very well with good power and lots of nice options. Should be able to pull my dad's Robalo 2440 with the 3:42 rear axel and 335lb of torque. The interior could use better moldings and the rear seat is not easy to fold. The sound system is impressive and OnStar & XM are nice options if you want them.

Good power, nice bucket seats, Driver information controls, Bose system, 3rd seat, DVD for the kids

3rd row folds flat, upgrade interior moldings.

Experience Tahoe Owner
By 3rd Tahoe

2005 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is my third and most refined Tahoe. Expect about 13-14 in the city and up to 19-20 MPG at 70 MPH or below. After 70 MPH it goes down. It is well appointed and very comfortable. The rear captain's chairs are nice but you lose 1 seat which seems we always need with the kids and friends. I've had no issues with the vehicle except at 24 miles per hour when the transmission shifts it clunks half the time. This is a known complaint which is to specifications I was told. The third row seating is nice but behind it there is limited if no room. We carry a car carrier for trips to take the luggage. It is very smooth and relatively quiet. It appears safe as seats are higher in a wreck.

Highway MPG if kept at 70 or below. DVD system though a small screen. Navigation. Very reliable. Autoride suspension feature. All my Tahoe's brakes lasted long

Rear end clunking when tranny shifts. Bigger DVD screen. Larger rims. More competive pricing for 09 models. Weather band channel on radio. Factory mud flaps like Toyota that fit. Rear wing mount over back window. Like All wheel drive feature that is not noisy and rough

Love this truck
By road1will

2005 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I love this Tahoe. I've had several Suburbans before this and have loved every Suburban and Tahoe that I've had. Mine has the 4.8 so I get about 19mpg city/25hwy. I do wish I had the 5.3 for that extra grunt though..

OnStar, seat comfort, interior layout

None