Used 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tahoe model:

Great SUV
By Leroy

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Only had one problem so far and it was in the first 500 miles. Had a bad squeak in the left front due to a dry (no grease) tie rod. Dealer replaced tie rod have had no more problems. Current mileage 13200

Favorite Features

The heated seats, Great in the winter time.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage - my only complaint.

Better than expected
By billy wheeler

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I admit that this Tahoe was not my first choice. I wanted an Armada, but the wife did not want to wait while I saved. We compared it to the Expedition, and it was not an option for us, plus the 3 benches sold the wife on it. We got the 5.3l engine and I am very happy with it. I have installed a K&N FIPK on it and a Flowmster 40 series. While the 40 series is a bit resonant for my taste, the overall improvement (there was an obvious one) was WELL worth the resonation. I have towed a couple of compact vehicles on trailers with the Tahoe and there was little impact to the gas mileage. I wish that the drivers seat design had been designed better, but it isn't TOO uncomfortable for long rides.

Favorite Features

Very good power. Decent gas (actual) mileage for a V-8. Good maneuverability in a parkinglot. Visibility is pretty good. No wind noise! (yay!)

Suggested Improvements

MOVE THE PARKING BRAKE! I kicked it repeatedly until I got used to it. Not my daily driver. (my excuse) tilt the turn signal stalk down just a bit. Its in an unnatural position. Redesign the drivers seat. A bit more ENCLOSED storage would be great.

Great for trucking around kids!
By TC

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This is the third new Chevrolet vehicle that I have owned and I have been very happy with it. You sit up very high and can see the entire road and everything that it is ahead of you. The ride is very comfortable and handles extremely well especially on the highway at upper speeds. My wife was opposed to a mini van, so we looked at the Toyota Seqouia, Honda Pilot, before deciding to purchase this vehicle. On several occasions we have sat 4 adults and four children comfortably. If you need some space to hall around a family and their gear this would be an excellent choice.

Favorite Features

Spacious interior, handling on the highway, handling in the snow, seat position ie. above most other vehicles, visibility, and to date reliability. My wife carpools 6 kids home from school and there is more than enough room for them in the back two rows.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage, anything please, vehicle will sit at times to drive my car so we can get better mileage. Third row seat that folds into the floor, this one is most difficult to remove. A little more style on the interior, I hope this is all coming on the '07 model.

Another good Chevy
By CLifton

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased the SUV a little over a year ago and I have been completely happy. It rides well, has plenty of interior room, and horsepower to boot. We have used it mainly for trips considering that I live less than 2 miles from work. An enjoyable SUV, just what I expect from Chevy.

Favorite Features

DVD system. This has paid for itself many times over with a young child on long trips.

Suggested Improvements

Seems to have a small problem remembering on the auto seat. It will sometimes reset to factory settings for no reason. Need that addressed.

Smooth Ride
By LDA

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Just bought my second Tahoe. I traded the first one for a Suburban and bought a 2004 Tahoe after 4 months. The comfort is incredible and I love the big seats. It travels Great! Some minor problems that the dealership took care of but everything is under warranty. As long as Chevy keeps making a car this comfortable to drive, I'll keep coming back.

Favorite Features

Big seats, view from the top, smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

Add all the bells and whistles as standard equipment.