Used 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tahoe model:

Most Helpful|
I Love My Tahoe with the Cattle Catcher!
By penny

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I love this vehicle. Yeh, I padi through the nose (actually still am), but I love this truck. At 93,000 miles I just replaced the fuel pump, muffler. Needs U-Joint. Hope this doesn't set precedent for continuing repairs.

Favorite Features

Cattle catcher, heated seats, steering wheel controls for phone, sound system, mileage notes.

Very Happy - lots of potential 5.3 l
By Bob

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Purchased used with 50K miles. Typical 15 to 18 on the highway. 12 mpg with 16 ft boat. We installed a Hypertech Econ programmer. Boat went to 15 mpg, highway steady 19 to 20 between 60 and 65 mph. Installed a Flexalite electric fan. In my son's words "the fan is sick!" 23 mpg on the highway! Have not towed the boat. Only vehicle in the family that can carry all of us any distance (all over 6'). Power increase is noticeable! This thing is within 1 mpg of our Toyota Camry! Why didn't GM build it this way?

Favorite Features

Gas mileage!

Suggested Improvements

Leather is wearing poorly. One of the gauges has died.

After 5 years
By scott

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I've own my Tahoe for 5 1/2 years. Lowered it and put 20's on it, so the ride is excellent. Even with the 4.8 it tows my wakeboard boat fine. A couple of minor issues, but overall pretty reliable. Mileage is similar to others avg 16-17 with a max of 20. After 75000 still have original brakes with life to go...weird. Biggest disappointment is the engine has piston slap and GM said that was "normal" and wouldn't do anything. May not buy another GM because of that.

Favorite Features

Easily customizable. Lowered, SS bumper and grill, Denali rear bumper, and 20" Joe Gibbs racing wheels. Engine mods are also fairly easy to do. Front bench seat rides 6 people with no third row. Great for families with dogs. Love the auto 4WD.

Suggested Improvements

New motors that do not have piston slap. Embarrassing that in 2004 they have a problem like this. Figure out a cheaper way to replace the fuel pump...too difficult and too expensive.

High quality comfortable SUV
By Joe Chocrame

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I've had my Tahoe for 3.5 years and it has never had any problem of any kind-- I've put 78k miles on it. This fantastic vehicle has the most comfortable 1st and 2nd row seats I've ever seen. The third row, although it has lots of padding, does not have very much leg room, it's great for children. The ride and handling are very good. One high point of this sturdy SUV is it's AMAZINGLY EXCELLENT TRACTION. While other vehicles are spinning around and slipping off the road, this vehicle charges ahead with utter confidence. Good visibility is another high point.

Favorite Features

amazingly comfortable 1st and 2nd row seats, good ride and handling, good visibility, and excellent traction and stability list but a few of the amazing features.

Suggested Improvements

A third row that can fold flat into the floor, NOTHING ELSE!

Transmission Needed Replacement at 81,000
By larryillinois

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Transmission failed at 81,000. Transmission fluid flushed and transfer case fluid serviced at 47,000 miles by Chevy dealer at a cost of $235.00. Service representative told me that the seal between the transmission and (I believe he said) the transfer case failed and the transmission fluid went into the transfer case. Caused transmission fluid to be three quarts low from the internal leak. Even though no fluid ever leaked out of the vehicle, the GM representative said it was my fault because the transmission fluid should have been checked at each oil change. The transmission failed while I was driving down the highway. Total cost of GM remanufactured transmission $3,922 installed.

Suggested Improvements

Build a better transmission or stand behind them when they fail.