Used 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe - Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe

View reviews for a specific Tahoe model:

Strong like Rock
By clownthebobo

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe LS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

2004 Tahoe LS 2WD, 5.3 liter flex fuel. We bought this vehicle in anticipation of reliability, decent mileage, good priced and to haul a large family in style. We got all four. We had one repair, which was a recall item. With 2wd, we had up to 22 MPG on the freeway (Catback exhaust and cold air intake). Impressive. City mileage is on par with other SUV's. We have had nine people in the Tahoe without any complaining. The only design flaw I see is the difficulty on how the rear passengers get in and out. Difficult task for an adult 6 foot or larger, but let room in the second row is great. All in all a comfortable family vehicle!

Favorite Features

Comfort, safety, power, and reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Second row entry.

Chevy Tahoe 2004
By Kough

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Bought it from Carmax with 60 miles. Around 65 miles the speedometer went out, next the oil pressure sensor went out and I finally replaced the whole cluster...cost $400. Around 80 miles the flex fuel pump went out...the cost to replace was$1100. As I type this it is at the dealership because it has started leaking coolant and oil...the estimated cost is $1850.I'm very disappointed in my Tahoe and as much as I've enjoyed the features and roominess I will never buy another one.I'm disappointed in Chevy too because I've learned through all of these repairs that these are all very common in Tahoes. It's not fair that the consumer is left to pay when these are all common issues even in later models

Favorite Features

It's very roomy. Love all of the features.

Suggested Improvements

There are issues that need to be corrected before the car is put on sales floor: speedometer cluster,fuel pump. I've read other issues that I haven't experienced yet. If there are issues that are happening in multiple Tahoes how is it the consumers problem? Its not fair. I'll never buy another

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
By Todd

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

We purchased the Tahoe for my wife but I like it so much that I rarely drive my own SUV. Drives great for such a large vehicle . However, I don't recommend exceeding the speed limit by much on sweeping mountain turns - I always feel on the edge of falling off the mountain. Other than a recurring clunk in the steering column (no effect on performance) the build quality has been excellent. If you have leather the heated seats are a must in cold weather.

Favorite Features

Heaven bless the man who invented the rear seat entertainment package. Heated seats. Great towing ability. Quiet ride. Ride height.

Suggested Improvements

I want a diesel engine option. The tray on top of the center console is a good idea (in theory) but seems to collect odds and ends that fall all over when opening the console. The auto heat/ac controls are flaky - I'd rather have manual controls.

Nice truck, but troublesome
By Tom

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this fully loaded Z71 as a demonstrator in November, 2004. A local baseball celebrity had driven it 3,200 miles in six months. The truck is great to drive--quiet, lots of power, and acceptable fuel economy for the vehicle size. I occasionally tow a utility trailer with my dirt bikes (about 1,000 lbs) and you don't even realize it is behind the truck. Unfortunately, the truck only has 35k miles and it has been rather troublesome. The battery completely died several times during the first winter (computer software update fixed it), the steering intermediate shaft has failed twice (20 & 25k), the 4WD system failed (33k--encoder motor) and the water pump is now leaking (35k).

Favorite Features

Engine power is awesome. Quiet, comfortable ride. It is a superb family hauler.

Suggested Improvements

Build it to last longer than the warranty. This would be a great truck if it stayed together. The build quality is below average (body panel fit and interior fit is rather poor) and the (un)reliability is simply unacceptable.

Perfection
By John Nix

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

We purchased our Tahoe as a combination work and play truck, it performed both fantastically. With its leather seats and luxury feel we were proud to have clients ride in it, from a custom home on a paved road to acreage located on top of a mountain with no road, all were very comfortable. On weekends we went four wheeling and our Tahoe got down and dirty like we did. We went thru rivers and to the tops of mountains, dirt road or no road at all made no difference. Best truck we ever purchased.

Favorite Features

The automatic four wheel drive was convenient and a gas saver.