Used 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe - Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV

View reviews for a specific Tahoe model:

My lake cruiser
By J.R.

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I'm happy with my 2004 Z71 Tahoe after almost 5 years. Just turned 45k on the mileage & just replaced the original tires with Goodyear Silent Armor. The ride really smoothed out. Problems: Mileage is really awful. The black painted front grill pealed (think a rock chipped it). The tire pressure monitor went haywire (I got a tire gauge). Lastly I wish the driver seat was a little more firm. My wife's Honda Pilot seat is awesome. With that said I still love my Tahoe. The room, the height, the looks, the cushy ride. Its my highway cruiser that can off-road it if need be.

Favorite Features

Backseat bucket seats. They are kind of like 1st class airline seats.

Suggested Improvements

My cars is 5 years old now. I sure that GM has the improvements taken care of.

Great Truck!
By Amanda

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Truck is great, bought it a few months ago and have had several trips in it out of town. It does extremely well for a V8 with this size of truck, I was averaging 22mpg and made it from Panama City, FL to Tampa, FL on a little under 1/2 a tank (5hrs). The interior design is great, minus the extra holder space on top of the center console, you can't get into the console without moving things off that space. I love the extra power outlet in the back, as well as the Bose stereo system-has great sound. I live on a backroad that leads out to a 4 lane highway and I know that when I come to the stop sign, this truck definitely has the get up and go to scoot out into traffic when I hit the gas.

Favorite Features

Electric seats, fuel mileage indicator and remaining miles, Bose stereo system, fog lights, comfort when traveling with groups of people, plenty of room!

Suggested Improvements

None that I can think of off hand!

Get better mileage
By Ann

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

We just bought our Tahoe and I absolutely love it! I have to remember to take it out of all wheel drive when I first get in, so that I'm not using to much fuel. In doing this, it takes me from 15.9 to.. the best so far is 20.6 mpg. But, the average is 19.7. Hope this helps someone. Not all of the 2004's I've noticed are like mine. Mine has 3 buttons to the left of s/w. 4 Low, All wheel and the T/C. I hit the T/C before putting in gear, this is what helps with the MPG.

Favorite Features

Haven't found one that I don't like

Suggested Improvements

Take the OnStar off of the steering wheel. It's not available in all areas, and could use the temp controls there instead.

Great rig
By CT

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my Tahoe used, off fleet, with about 14k miles on it back in 2005. As of Sep 2008 I can say this is a wonderful rig for what it is. Very comfortable. Great fuel economy for a vehicle of its size. Reliable. Good off road when I take it hunting (and the back is large enough for me to sleep in). For a family with two kids and a dog, our Tahoe fits perfectly. We often use the third row seats, so that's another nice addition. Overall, for its purpose, this is a great rig.

Favorite Features

Space. Gas mileage. 4WD. Bose sound. Sunroof. Space.

Suggested Improvements

Better interior plastic pieces. Some of them fall off under normal use. Everything is completely redone by now, so anything said at this point is already covered in newer models.

Best SUV I Ever Owned
By rbn005

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I have really been fortunate. Mine is fully loaded and all of us have enjoyed it. The vehicle has been excellent. We have driven many different terrains (on- road, off-road), mountains, pulled boats, cargo trailers, etc. and it has handle itself very well. The mpg is not too bad for an SUV. Average around 17.5. I can't think of anything that I would change except for the third row seats. Frankly, I like it better than the 2008 Tahoe.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is the surround sound. All of us got in it the first night we owned it to watch a DVD. It was awesome! Seriously. The engines reliability. When I need to pass a vehicle. I know I am going to make it around quickly and safely.

Suggested Improvements

Third row seats. They are heavy for a petite person to try to remove. But I do like their full-size for adult persons.