Used 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tahoe model:

Transmission Needed Replacement at 81,000
By larryillinois

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Transmission failed at 81,000. Transmission fluid flushed and transfer case fluid serviced at 47,000 miles by Chevy dealer at a cost of $235.00. Service representative told me that the seal between the transmission and (I believe he said) the transfer case failed and the transmission fluid went into the transfer case. Caused transmission fluid to be three quarts low from the internal leak. Even though no fluid ever leaked out of the vehicle, the GM representative said it was my fault because the transmission fluid should have been checked at each oil change. The transmission failed while I was driving down the highway. Total cost of GM remanufactured transmission $3,922 installed.

Build a better transmission or stand behind them when they fail.

Known defects
By MattH

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This GM vehicle has suffered from some of the "known defects" by GM. The instrument cluster has been replaced under warranty, fuel pump became weak and been replaced, the actuators that control the airflow into the cabin become flaky and will start blowing hot air out (you have turn off the car and restart-I've gotten good at doing this while going down the road). The final straw with this vehicle - excessive porosity in the cylinder heads (again, a known issue with GM supplier's CasTech heads) allows steady leaks into the valve train and gets mixed in with the oil. It has gotten bad (1 gal/month) and now at 105,000 miles, this vehicle has to go unless GM steps up. TBD.

High quality comfortable SUV
By Joe Chocrame

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I've had my Tahoe for 3.5 years and it has never had any problem of any kind-- I've put 78k miles on it. This fantastic vehicle has the most comfortable 1st and 2nd row seats I've ever seen. The third row, although it has lots of padding, does not have very much leg room, it's great for children. The ride and handling are very good. One high point of this sturdy SUV is it's AMAZINGLY EXCELLENT TRACTION. While other vehicles are spinning around and slipping off the road, this vehicle charges ahead with utter confidence. Good visibility is another high point.

amazingly comfortable 1st and 2nd row seats, good ride and handling, good visibility, and excellent traction and stability list but a few of the amazing features.

A third row that can fold flat into the floor, NOTHING ELSE!

Great SUV
By Great SUV

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Bought this vehicle used w/ 21,000 miles on it and have now had it for over 4 years and now it has almost 83,000 miles on it. Have had only two minor problems with it, the push button 4x4 went out and had a problem with the steering shaft. I'm debating trading this vehicle, but I hate to so bad. I keep it clean and it just still looks and drives so good. Nothing I've test drove looks or drives as sweet as my Tahoe. This is a great vehicle. Wish I could afford a newer model.

smooth ride, leather interior, 6 disk CD, cargo space, sunroof

none except making them more affordable

Buyer beware, no help from factory
By I. Escoto

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Some GM 2002-2006 V8 motors have factory defects in the cylinder heads. See service bulletins, always adding coolant, loss of coolant and no signs of coolant leaks and heater blows cool air are all signs of possible defective heads. Problem starts small than gets worse with miles. Hedricks Chevy of Fresno, Calif. misdiagnosed my Tahoe and now that extended warranty is out it could cost me over $3000.00 to repair. Poor GM and Hedricks customer service, with no help from factory. I lost my faith with Hedricks and GM customer service. I spent over $45k for this vehicle and expect engine to last over 200k miles with normal service, not get stuck with factory problem. BUYER BEWARE

Luxury ride of a big car, fully loaded nice features.

Better customer service from dealer and factory especially with known defects. Technicians should ask more questions when car comes back for second time and not only spend 12 minutes on diagnostics, and read service bulletins.