2004 Chevrolet Tahoe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tahoe model:
Known defects
By MattH on 11/24/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe LS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This GM vehicle has suffered from some of the "known defects" by GM. The instrument cluster has been replaced under warranty, fuel pump became weak and been replaced, the actuators that control the airflow into the cabin become flaky and will start blowing hot air out (you have turn off the car and restart-I've gotten good at doing this while going down the road). The final straw with this vehicle - excessive porosity in the cylinder heads (again, a known issue with GM supplier's CasTech heads) allows steady leaks into the valve train and gets mixed in with the oil. It has gotten bad (1 gal/month) and now at 105,000 miles, this vehicle has to go unless GM steps up. TBD.

Incredible work by Chevy
By SCchevyBoy on 03/28/10 12:22 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe LS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I needed a SUV to help me out with my every day life I was thinking more along the lines of a trailblazer but I am so happy that I did not get it and got the Tahoe instead this is by far the most impressive vehicle I have ever had the pleasure of owning we recently took a trip to the beach and the roominess of the truck far exceeded my expectations and the gas mileage isn't really that bad Im averaging 22-23 hwy and 18-19 cty plus if I was concerned about gas I would bout a yaris but me and my family really enjoy the size looks and comfort plus with a a K and N air filter new plugs and wires and TB spacers I'm hoping to up my mileage around 26-27 before exhaust changes

Going strong at 85k mi.
By Dave on 04/29/09 17:04 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe LS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Bought this Tahoe new 4 1/2 years ago and it has been the best vehicle I have ever owned.

First Chevy Owned! 04 Tahoe LT
By Ricky on 03/29/09 17:07 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe LS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This is my first Chevy vehicle ever! The previous owners bought it new and had all the service records for it.The truck had 52K miles when I purchased it and has 59K now. No major problems yet, my local chevy dealer said though I needed a new a/c belt, and something in my steering column needed to be replaced, cost was about $250 with labor to repair both. My rear brake light went out, now that was expensive... the part itself was $250, and you can't buy it at any part store cause its a LED light. Great smooth ride and great pick-up. Love the space. The truck is not to big nor to small for a single guy with no kids

Love my Tahoe
By DENNIS on 02/26/09 23:02 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe LS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Love this truck, very reliable, only had 2 warranty issues and I have 96k miles on it. Need to stay away from Delco batteries, had to finally get an interstate as Delco kept dying in less than a year. Now teaching daughter to drive it. She loves it also. Still drives like new, even with high miles. Good seating, kids like DVD player, great AC, really keeps inside cool on over 100 degree days.

Great Truck!
By Amanda on 10/12/08 22:48 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe LS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Truck is great, bought it a few months ago and have had several trips in it out of town. It does extremely well for a V8 with this size of truck, I was averaging 22mpg and made it from Panama City, FL to Tampa, FL on a little under 1/2 a tank (5hrs). The interior design is great, minus the extra holder space on top of the center console, you can't get into the console without moving things off that space. I love the extra power outlet in the back, as well as the Bose stereo system-has great sound. I live on a backroad that leads out to a 4 lane highway and I know that when I come to the stop sign, this truck definitely has the get up and go to scoot out into traffic when I hit the gas.

Best SUV I Ever Owned
By rbn005 on 07/28/08 16:47 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe LS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I have really been fortunate. Mine is fully loaded and all of us have enjoyed it. The vehicle has been excellent. We have driven many different terrains (on- road, off-road), mountains, pulled boats, cargo trailers, etc. and it has handle itself very well. The mpg is not too bad for an SUV. Average around 17.5. I can't think of anything that I would change except for the third row seats. Frankly, I like it better than the 2008 Tahoe.

Strong like Rock
By clownthebobo on 07/14/08 02:47 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe LS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

2004 Tahoe LS 2WD, 5.3 liter flex fuel. We bought this vehicle in anticipation of reliability, decent mileage, good priced and to haul a large family in style. We got all four. We had one repair, which was a recall item. With 2wd, we had up to 22 MPG on the freeway (Catback exhaust and cold air intake). Impressive. City mileage is on par with other SUV's. We have had nine people in the Tahoe without any complaining. The only design flaw I see is the difficulty on how the rear passengers get in and out. Difficult task for an adult 6 foot or larger, but let room in the second row is great. All in all a comfortable family vehicle!

Can't beat these Tahoes!
By anniston on 09/03/07 18:37 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe LS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I travel all around the Southeast for my job, so I need a big, comfortable car that I love to drive. The Tahoe fit that perfectly. I have always driven Chevrolets and Buicks, my wife always drove a Toyota. When I got this Tahoe LT in 2004, my wife was sitting in a Black Z71 the next month, so I drive a 2004 and she drives a 2005. It really turned her into a Chevy lover! Like I said I travel and have 91k miles on it, but I hate to sell it. I don't like the new ones, so I'm going to buy a low mile 2006 whenever I hit 100k. No major issues with repairs except the AC compressor at 80k, but it was covered under my extended warranty.

Tahoe LT
By TAHOELT on 07/13/07 09:56 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe LS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

The Chevrolet Tahoe has everything you could ever want in an SUV. Drives like a dream, performs exceptionally while pulling a trailer, plenty big for family trips, but easy to drive. I couldn't ask for a more comfortable, reliable SUV.