Used 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe LS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tahoe model:

Known defects
By MattH

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe LS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This GM vehicle has suffered from some of the "known defects" by GM. The instrument cluster has been replaced under warranty, fuel pump became weak and been replaced, the actuators that control the airflow into the cabin become flaky and will start blowing hot air out (you have turn off the car and restart-I've gotten good at doing this while going down the road). The final straw with this vehicle - excessive porosity in the cylinder heads (again, a known issue with GM supplier's CasTech heads) allows steady leaks into the valve train and gets mixed in with the oil. It has gotten bad (1 gal/month) and now at 105,000 miles, this vehicle has to go unless GM steps up. TBD.

Incredible work by Chevy
By SCchevyBoy

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe LS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I needed a SUV to help me out with my every day life I was thinking more along the lines of a trailblazer but I am so happy that I did not get it and got the Tahoe instead this is by far the most impressive vehicle I have ever had the pleasure of owning we recently took a trip to the beach and the roominess of the truck far exceeded my expectations and the gas mileage isn't really that bad Im averaging 22-23 hwy and 18-19 cty plus if I was concerned about gas I would bout a yaris but me and my family really enjoy the size looks and comfort plus with a a K and N air filter new plugs and wires and TB spacers I'm hoping to up my mileage around 26-27 before exhaust changes

Favorite Features

leather seats, sunroof, big console, third row seats, heated seats, big engine with plenty of power the aggressive look and a strong since of security while driving.

Suggested Improvements

can't complain

Going strong at 85k mi.
By Dave

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe LS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Bought this Tahoe new 4 1/2 years ago and it has been the best vehicle I have ever owned.

Favorite Features

Fold-flat back seats turns it into a panel van. 5.3l engine provides a little more power than standard motor.

First Chevy Owned! 04 Tahoe LT
By Ricky

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe LS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This is my first Chevy vehicle ever! The previous owners bought it new and had all the service records for it.The truck had 52K miles when I purchased it and has 59K now. No major problems yet, my local chevy dealer said though I needed a new a/c belt, and something in my steering column needed to be replaced, cost was about $250 with labor to repair both. My rear brake light went out, now that was expensive... the part itself was $250, and you can't buy it at any part store cause its a LED light. Great smooth ride and great pick-up. Love the space. The truck is not to big nor to small for a single guy with no kids

Favorite Features

Auto climate, heated & memory seats, 10 way power seats, driver information center, Onstar, XM, & 6disc. Sunroof and dvd player, stabil trac system, 17 inch alloys also, like the look better over the 16 inch alloys. Love the dark blue exterior. This one has tan in it, think I will get grey next time.

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy in the city, hwy is great though. Better leather, cooled seats, gets pretty hot in the south. Although I noticed for 09 cooled seats are available on the LTZ model. Oh and second row buckets being able to lay back farther for napping.

Love my Tahoe
By DENNIS

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe LS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Love this truck, very reliable, only had 2 warranty issues and I have 96k miles on it. Need to stay away from Delco batteries, had to finally get an interstate as Delco kept dying in less than a year. Now teaching daughter to drive it. She loves it also. Still drives like new, even with high miles. Good seating, kids like DVD player, great AC, really keeps inside cool on over 100 degree days.

Favorite Features

AC Cools great, drives smooth, easy to get in/out. Good radio sound, easy to put back seats down.

Suggested Improvements

None really. You don't buy a SUV for gas mileage, although on trips I have gotten 20 MPG with the 5.3