2004 Chevrolet Tahoe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tahoe model:
Transmission Needed Replacement at 81,000
By larryillinois on 08/08/11 19:10 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Transmission failed at 81,000. Transmission fluid flushed and transfer case fluid serviced at 47,000 miles by Chevy dealer at a cost of $235.00. Service representative told me that the seal between the transmission and (I believe he said) the transfer case failed and the transmission fluid went into the transfer case. Caused transmission fluid to be three quarts low from the internal leak. Even though no fluid ever leaked out of the vehicle, the GM representative said it was my fault because the transmission fluid should have been checked at each oil change. The transmission failed while I was driving down the highway. Total cost of GM remanufactured transmission $3,922 installed.

Known defects
By MattH on 11/24/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe LS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This GM vehicle has suffered from some of the "known defects" by GM. The instrument cluster has been replaced under warranty, fuel pump became weak and been replaced, the actuators that control the airflow into the cabin become flaky and will start blowing hot air out (you have turn off the car and restart-I've gotten good at doing this while going down the road). The final straw with this vehicle - excessive porosity in the cylinder heads (again, a known issue with GM supplier's CasTech heads) allows steady leaks into the valve train and gets mixed in with the oil. It has gotten bad (1 gal/month) and now at 105,000 miles, this vehicle has to go unless GM steps up. TBD.

High quality comfortable SUV
By Joe Chocrame on 10/14/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I've had my Tahoe for 3.5 years and it has never had any problem of any kind-- I've put 78k miles on it. This fantastic vehicle has the most comfortable 1st and 2nd row seats I've ever seen. The third row, although it has lots of padding, does not have very much leg room, it's great for children. The ride and handling are very good. One high point of this sturdy SUV is it's AMAZINGLY EXCELLENT TRACTION. While other vehicles are spinning around and slipping off the road, this vehicle charges ahead with utter confidence. Good visibility is another high point.

Great SUV
By Great SUV on 07/25/10 15:00 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Bought this vehicle used w/ 21,000 miles on it and have now had it for over 4 years and now it has almost 83,000 miles on it. Have had only two minor problems with it, the push button 4x4 went out and had a problem with the steering shaft. I'm debating trading this vehicle, but I hate to so bad. I keep it clean and it just still looks and drives so good. Nothing I've test drove looks or drives as sweet as my Tahoe. This is a great vehicle. Wish I could afford a newer model.

Buyer beware, no help from factory
By I. Escoto on 04/11/10 12:05 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Some GM 2002-2006 V8 motors have factory defects in the cylinder heads. See service bulletins, always adding coolant, loss of coolant and no signs of coolant leaks and heater blows cool air are all signs of possible defective heads. Problem starts small than gets worse with miles. Hedricks Chevy of Fresno, Calif. misdiagnosed my Tahoe and now that extended warranty is out it could cost me over $3000.00 to repair. Poor GM and Hedricks customer service, with no help from factory. I lost my faith with Hedricks and GM customer service. I spent over $45k for this vehicle and expect engine to last over 200k miles with normal service, not get stuck with factory problem. BUYER BEWARE

Incredible work by Chevy
By SCchevyBoy on 03/28/10 12:22 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe LS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I needed a SUV to help me out with my every day life I was thinking more along the lines of a trailblazer but I am so happy that I did not get it and got the Tahoe instead this is by far the most impressive vehicle I have ever had the pleasure of owning we recently took a trip to the beach and the roominess of the truck far exceeded my expectations and the gas mileage isn't really that bad Im averaging 22-23 hwy and 18-19 cty plus if I was concerned about gas I would bout a yaris but me and my family really enjoy the size looks and comfort plus with a a K and N air filter new plugs and wires and TB spacers I'm hoping to up my mileage around 26-27 before exhaust changes

After 5 years
By scott on 01/12/10 13:36 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I've own my Tahoe for 5 1/2 years. Lowered it and put 20's on it, so the ride is excellent. Even with the 4.8 it tows my wakeboard boat fine. A couple of minor issues, but overall pretty reliable. Mileage is similar to others avg 16-17 with a max of 20. After 75000 still have original brakes with life to go...weird. Biggest disappointment is the engine has piston slap and GM said that was "normal" and wouldn't do anything. May not buy another GM because of that.

Speedometor
By momof3 on 12/15/09 13:41 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I actually just got off the phone and asked in regards of the "recall" for the speedometer problem and was told that it cannot be done after 70,000 miles free of charge, that I would have to pay $500.00. I was told that GM was ONLY doing this out of "COURTESY" and that it was NOT an official safety recall. Well what happens when you are driving and not know how fast you are going, is THAT not count as a SAFETY?

Still Going Strong...
By kimij on 10/24/09 17:21 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Bought new in Nov 03. Always loved it. PLENTY of pick up - really gets up and out of it's own way on the highway. We don't use the 3rd row often - can be a pain to install quickly (and store). No blind spot to speak of at al. Also remember having odometer replaced as a warranty issue. Small things here and there but overall a totally reliable, amazing car.

Hard Driving
By 04Tahoe on 09/05/09 09:28 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I now have 85k miles on this tahoe. Mechanically, it is in perfect condition! Only repair was the 4wd system sensor: $700. Cosmetically, I keep it washed and waxed and am amazing how it still turns heads. I drive Pacific Coast Highway every day, and to the mountains or river every weekend. I have absolutely not concern that this vehicle will make it to 250k miles if cared for properly. This is the best SUV for the money.