Used 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tahoe model:

233K Miles and Still Running Like a Champ!
By DJwazlo

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased our 04' Chevy Tahoe new from the Chevy dealer in 2004 as our daily driver family car and let me tell you, it gets driven every day. It is the base model with cloth interior. Sticker price at the time was $38K. It is now 2015 and we have put over 233,000 miles on this same vehicle and it is still running like a champ with no mechanical issues what so ever. Praise GOD! The only issues we have had are the instrument cluster gauge went out at about 150K miles, which is typical with GM vehicles, and the A/C blower was replaced at around 180K miles. That is it. We have not had any engine or transmission problems of any kind. And to be quite honest we have never had the transmission service done ever on the vehicle like the dealer recommends, just routine oil changes about every 5K - 7K miles, sometimes we have even gone as far as 10K - 12K miles before the next oil change. Just check the fluid levels , (oil, Transmission fluid, coolant, brake fluid) from time to time and that is it. Needless to say I will be getting another Chevy Tahoe when the time comes, my goal is to get 500K miles out of this wonderful 04 Tahoe before that day comes. :)

Transmission Needed Replacement at 81,000
By larryillinois

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Transmission failed at 81,000. Transmission fluid flushed and transfer case fluid serviced at 47,000 miles by Chevy dealer at a cost of $235.00. Service representative told me that the seal between the transmission and (I believe he said) the transfer case failed and the transmission fluid went into the transfer case. Caused transmission fluid to be three quarts low from the internal leak. Even though no fluid ever leaked out of the vehicle, the GM representative said it was my fault because the transmission fluid should have been checked at each oil change. The transmission failed while I was driving down the highway. Total cost of GM remanufactured transmission $3,922 installed.

Build a better transmission or stand behind them when they fail.

Known defects
By MattH

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe LS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This GM vehicle has suffered from some of the "known defects" by GM. The instrument cluster has been replaced under warranty, fuel pump became weak and been replaced, the actuators that control the airflow into the cabin become flaky and will start blowing hot air out (you have turn off the car and restart-I've gotten good at doing this while going down the road). The final straw with this vehicle - excessive porosity in the cylinder heads (again, a known issue with GM supplier's CasTech heads) allows steady leaks into the valve train and gets mixed in with the oil. It has gotten bad (1 gal/month) and now at 105,000 miles, this vehicle has to go unless GM steps up. TBD.

High quality comfortable SUV
By Joe Chocrame

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I've had my Tahoe for 3.5 years and it has never had any problem of any kind-- I've put 78k miles on it. This fantastic vehicle has the most comfortable 1st and 2nd row seats I've ever seen. The third row, although it has lots of padding, does not have very much leg room, it's great for children. The ride and handling are very good. One high point of this sturdy SUV is it's AMAZINGLY EXCELLENT TRACTION. While other vehicles are spinning around and slipping off the road, this vehicle charges ahead with utter confidence. Good visibility is another high point.

amazingly comfortable 1st and 2nd row seats, good ride and handling, good visibility, and excellent traction and stability list but a few of the amazing features.

A third row that can fold flat into the floor, NOTHING ELSE!

Great SUV
By Great SUV

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Bought this vehicle used w/ 21,000 miles on it and have now had it for over 4 years and now it has almost 83,000 miles on it. Have had only two minor problems with it, the push button 4x4 went out and had a problem with the steering shaft. I'm debating trading this vehicle, but I hate to so bad. I keep it clean and it just still looks and drives so good. Nothing I've test drove looks or drives as sweet as my Tahoe. This is a great vehicle. Wish I could afford a newer model.

smooth ride, leather interior, 6 disk CD, cargo space, sunroof

none except making them more affordable