Used 2003 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tahoe model:

2nd SUV
By 2nd SUV

2003 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I bought the SUV new, and had some initial problems with the locks. It had to be taken to the dealership several times before they finally got the problem fixed. The front end wasn't aligned when I bought the SUV and it took two trips to get that properly aligned. At about 40000 miles, the speedometer quit working and the whole gauge unit had to be rebuilt. It now gets about 2 mpg less than when new. The only other repairs that have been needed is when my son literally drove it through a brick wall. It only had a couple of scratches and dents, and the exterior mirrors had to be replaced; but it was drivable and I made my son drive it until the garage got the parts to fix it.

Room, lots of room. Before this SUV, including a Jeep Grand Cherokee, I needed a trailer to carry everything on a trip. Our first trip with the Tahoe, left me asking, "Is that it?"

Add the 6.0L engine from the 2500HD to the Tahoe, needs more power.

1500,000 miles and Still Going
By TMcCall

2003 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I have had my Z71 Tahoe since I bought it brand new in 2003, and I have yet to change the brakes! Yes, I have triend to get someone to change them and they wouldn't do it becuase they told me the Tahoe didn't need them. Amazing. I owned a silverado before this and the ride difference is huge. I installed a K and N cold air intake system on it and my accelleration is so much better. I travel all over the Southeast driving an average of 30,000 miles/year and this is a chariot. By far the best vehicle I have ever owned. When this one dies on me I will buy another one to last me another 5 years.

Comfertable seats, Bose System, Great A/C and the best highway ride out there (Get Michelin tires)

None

Can't break it with a bat
By Bill

2003 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I have the Z71. Fantastic truck. Rides as well with 63,000 as when new. A couple initial problems, drive shaft replacement, and no shifting back into 2WD, but dealer fixed it, and hasn't been back to the shop in 30,000 miles. Very solid truck. Was rear ended by Ford Econoline loaded with tools doing 35 MPH. Only $3,500 damage, and was still drivable. Glad I was in the Tahoe and not something else. This truck gives me the confidence to take it anywhere in any conditions. I feel this truck will run forever. Foreign vehicles have nothing on this truck.

Seating comfort, heated leather seats, lumbar support, excellent stereo, auto 4WD, sun roof, stylish body panels, solid feel.

More rear leg room. Fold flat 3rd row seats

Why I'll not own another U.S. SUV
By F. X. McGrath

2003 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Too many mechanical problems after 60,000 miles. Replaced fuel pump, water pump, instrument cluster, (speedometer stopped working), replaced horn, engine gasket, steering problems. For a vehicle of this age and mileage these types of problems should not occur. I'll not own another Chevy. My next vehicle will be Japanese or German. U.S. auto makers need to make a more reliable vehicle if they want to compete.

Happy Tahoe owner
By JJ

2003 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Since new, this vehicle has been flawless and I have every option except sunroof. I have it serviced before time with selling dealer and it is garage kept. I baby this vehicle. Last year I almost traded it for a "Caddy" but this vehicle had more options and a whole lot less expensive and gas mileage was near same. Overall, a great vehicle.

Seat selector for both drivers. The fact that so far it has been flawless.

Replace OnStar with a better system.