Used 2003 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Tahoe - Consumer Reviews

2003 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV

View reviews for a specific Tahoe model:

Never Getting Rid of It
By Erin

2003 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I purchsed this my 2003 Chevy Tahoe in August of '03 brand new right off the delivery truck and had loved it since. I've only had minor problems with it like the fuel pump going bad, 2 dead batteries, and bad starter. Besides all of that it has been very good to me. I don't plan to get rid of it ever. I recently gave it to my 15 y/o son as a gift for getting his permit when I purchsed the '08 Tahoe. Hoping for the same.

Favorite Features

Folding mirrors, heated seats, size of the SUV, and handling.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage, power

Great Truck
By kstall3

2003 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck used in 2004 with 19,000 miles. I have had very few problems in the last 4 four years. My fuel pump did go out, but I have observed that happens on all Chevy trucks, you have to factor that into the cost. My fuel economy is pretty good for having over 300 HP and 33inch tires (after market). I love this truck and don't have any plans to trade in.

Favorite Features

The multiple storage areas. Great cup holders. The power is fine for big truck. I love the fold down seats for moving big items. The truck is great for moderate to heavy towing. With a little suspension and tire work this truck can look really mean.

Suggested Improvements

The paint on my stereo has been comming off that last couple of months.

End of an Era
By Marc

2003 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Bought for its ability to go off-road, have only done that a handful of times. Lots of electrical gremlins, have had it in and out of the shop for repairs.

Favorite Features

Folding mirrors, heated lumbar seats, does provide commanding position on the road. Quiet on the highway.

Suggested Improvements

Obviously, MPG stinks (12 city - 17 HWY). Anemic engine for a vehicle this size. Doesn't have the cargo space I envisioned. Needs rear captain chair seating. Brakes are squishy. Reliability stinks.

Great Family Car
By hot mama

2003 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This car has been a great car for our family. We put on a lot of miles traveling all over town and it is for the most part very reiliable. There has only been minor problems with some electrical in this car. like a light won't work one day but will the next. It is extremely comfortable. In 2003 there was no other SUV on the market this roomy or comfortable. We have a Z71 package with a TV and that has also been a great delight for our kids

Favorite Features

Comfort, styling, look

Suggested Improvements

Electical problems

Money Pit
By Kiki

2003 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I love my Tahoe, but I have had many problems with it. The intermediate shaft's gone out twice. The actuator for the vent control's going out (will eventually lose control over where the a/c and heat come out). Speedometer cluster went out. Passenger window's getting slow. Steering wheel and driver door sqeak uncontrollably (door bolt costs $100 to fix). Chevy says actuator, intermediat shaft, and speedometer cluster problems are common in Tahoes with this body style. Not sure if I'll ever buy another one. All of the problems have been expensive and made me dislike the car that I once loved. Not worth the money. The new ones would have to be totally different for me to buy one.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage for the size. It's very comfortable to drive and ride in. Roomy and nice looking (inside and out).

Suggested Improvements

Intermediate shaft is the pits. Many mechanical and design flaws that can hinder the likeability/operation of the Tahoe.