Used 2002 Chevrolet Tahoe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe - Consumer Reviews

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe

View reviews for a specific Tahoe model:

Like a knock, it was loud as it could be
By The knocker

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I've been bitten by the piston slap GM engine at less than 25k miles. The dealership is hesitant to do anything other than give me the "carbon-top runaround." I'd be wary to ever own another GM product. The warranty isn't worth the paper it was written on. At this point the dealers refuse to look at the truck when I tell them that the engine is making noise. Sadly, my next vehicle purchase (Jan 05) will be affected by this unfortunate situation.

Favorite Features

The exterior styling is beautiful, to me. I like it more than the new Tahoe. The interior also gets good marks, except no sunglass holder. The fold down seats work better than my previous Yukon.

Suggested Improvements

Replace all the piston-slapping DEFECTIVE engines. The engine should be just as nice as the rest of my $40k truck.The steering has a weird rattle to it. The dealer(s) can not pinpoint it. The auto traction "chickwalks" on dry pavement. I leave it turned off. Stereo is weak.

Can't go wrong
By Tahoe lover

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I've owned other trucks but going back to the Tahoe was the best thing I ever did.

Good car -- get checked out before warr.
By bluetahoe

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I love my 2002 Tahoe however to anyone buying one i would take it in before the warranty expires and get them to do a full overhaul. I had to get my two front window "cranks" replaced (would have been 500 a piece. Just make sure you take it in and let them check everything.

Suggested Improvements

Bose speakers, bigger tire options.

Better than Ford Expedition
By yoyohong

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I have own both and the tahoe has a better engine and build quality, though not perfect.

Suggested Improvements

interior material should be higher quality.

First & Last Chevy I'll buy, EVER
By k2dunk

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

great driving truck, BUT GM engineers oughta have theirs put in a vise for these V8 engines Cold start Knock at 12K miles Dealer TSB says its carbon Right Seems to me they just cant get those pistons right Every AM that rattling noise in garage so so discouraging And me Born and raised in a Chevy house I cant wait to get the wife in an Armada 3 more months,gonna trade that sucker.Me I wanted a Vette, forget that 350Z or G35 here I come. Shame on you GM. Google for 'cold start knock' do your own homework you'll see.45K and climbing.I've now heard the Trans isn't so great either.Hopefully she'll stay together a little while longer.700 not enough...