Used 2000 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tahoe model:

2000 Chevy Tahoe
By Cedric

2000 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 4dr SUV

The transmission went out at 70000 miles. The ABS system failed at 64000 miles. The vehicle was serviced only by the dealership and after numerous trips to complain about the ABS braking problem, it was never duplicated when tested by a service technician. Therefore the problem was never fixed. After the warranty expired, then and only then was the problem identified. I replaced the ABS system, the rotors, brake pads and the emergency brake pad at a cost of $1300.00. The dealership wanted over $2500.00 to fix everything. I want even begin to talk about the transmission being replaced. So, I would not recommend this vehicle to anyone, nor will I ever purchase another Chevy product.

The vehicle looks good and the interior is comfortable. It handles nicely and has plenty of space.

Improve the transmission problems (I know at least 10 Tahoe owners who had to replace the transmission), correct the ABS system, and the AC and Heating system need to be overhauled.

Had a Few Problems But Happy
By Happy-campers-r-us

2000 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV

I bought this vehicle used 18 mos ago with 29,000 miles. Fortunately it was still under mfg warranty and I was able to purchase an extended warranty for $1200. I have used the extended warranty twice in the past 3 weeks. The first time was for the Electronic Brake control module (ABS computer) $950. The second problem was another computer problem for the ignition system = $450. Otherwise I am very happy with the vehicle. We use it to tow our camper and it works great. But I am certainly glad we purchased the extended warranty.

Very comfortable ride for a large SUV and the size is great for our family outings. And it tows very well.

Better gas mileage.

have you had this problem
By mississippi

2000 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV

The vehicle would be great except that the abs system went out, right at 37k, out of warranty. I know 6 other people this happend too, I think they should recall it. It cost 1000.00 to repair. I would'nt think anything but bad luck on my part if it was't for the fact that this problem has happend to 6 other people.

Much better than Explorer
By Mikey1477

2000 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I traded in a 1997 Explorer LTD that was absolutely loaded. I didn't get as many options on the Tahoe, but what a difference in ride, acceleration, handling, etc. I always felt out of control in the Explorer, but the Tahoe sticks to the road like glue. I wish Chevy would stop putting cheap parts into $40,000 vehicles though. The interior really leaves something to be desired, and I have had 2 window motors go out in 2 1/2 years. They do a great job on engines/transmissions, but seem to treat everything else as an afterthought.

Engine, engine, engine!! Very powerful. Space - I use this truck for landscaping/building, as well as going on ski vacations, and just out to dinner. I have never said, "Man I wish this was bigger". Good radio, decent layout of controls, great commanding view of road.

Use better plastic on interior. Put the whole thing together better so there are no sqeaks/rattles after just 6 months of driving. USE BETTER WINDOW MOTORS!! This goes for all GM products. Look into the fact that when on "Auto 4WD", the car seems to just go in and out of 4WD mode.

Stay Away From This Vehicle!!!
By ssiga

2000 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 4dr SUV

This vehicle is possessed! The windows open, the lumbar in the seats change, and the clock changes time at will. We rarely drive this vehicle due to its unreliability, but since it's leased, we're stuck with it. The dealership has done numerous repairs, but now that our 3 year warranty is over, we're on our own with the same issues, even though the vehicle only has about 32,000. Look at the Tahoes as you drive down the highway; notice how many new vehicles have light bulbs burned out? Not a well made vehicle; Chevy should be ashamed!

Interior Size - not as big as my previous Suburban, obviously, but the size was good for making short runs to the store.

There is no substitute for quality. I think my next vehicle will be a Lexus. I would gladly have paid more for reliabilty. After 20+ years, this vehicle will be my last Chevy!