Used 1999 Chevrolet Tahoe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe - Consumer Reviews

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe

View reviews for a specific Tahoe model:

Most Helpful|
'99 Tahoe
By Shorthill

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

This has been a great truck. I keep it well maintained. There have been a few little problems with radio and dash lights but all were easily resolved.

Favorite Features

4WD! Whenever I have needed a bit more traction the 4 wheel drive has been excellent.

Suggested Improvements

Rear turn signal assemblies are weak and tend to burn up. (the plastic circuit board actually turns black) This could be made more durable.

Best Buy Ever!
By boxkicker0586

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV

My Tahoe Has about 380,000 miles on it. The engine is still original and transmission has been replaced before I got it. It now has a Jasper transmission in it. I love everything about this truck. It runs so well and drives awesome. I really don't ever plan on getting rid of it. All I know is chevy built an amazing truck and there is not one flaw. Just keep up with all your maintenance and these trucks will last a very long time. I love my tahoe!

Favorite Features

Everything

Suggested Improvements

nothing

Not a bad vehicle so far
By devman

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

This truck has been in the family since new, my mom owned it until last year when I took it over. It has approximately 97k on it and we have never had any major issues. The heated seats have burnt out, and the seats themselves only recline to one position, fortunately that position works for me. The inside is comfortable, I am 6'4" so the headroom is a big plus for me. It has a terrible meandering problem, which I now understand to be a weak point in the idler/pitman/ball joints. I am considering upgrading to some performance parts after I take care of the steering, and doing a much needed change of shocks.

Favorite Features

Love the opportunity to upgrade parts, never had a customizable vehicle before. The room and the authority on the road (especially in the winter, 4-wheel drive works great.) I love the looks of this truck, even more when it's clean!

Suggested Improvements

The seats are comfy, but made for shorter people, and the heated seat's power transistor burns out so easy (this is a very common problem.) All the doors need to have hinges replaced, which I think is ridiculous. I feel that is has sub-par gas mileage, but I am used to driving a car.

Prime Example Of American Trucks!
By heavychevy99

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

This is my 2nd go round with a tahoe. My first was a 97 and was an excellent rig! My current tahoe is a 99 and basicly reflects the 97 i had but has a few more cool options, Heated seats, Rear AC for the kiddos, This rig is hard to beat for the money spent. I paid $3800 for this 99 and it has 170K on it and still going strong. The Engine performs excellent, has great power and tows my 7000lb boat all the time. I read a few reviews of people bashing the transmissions in these tahoes but if you take care if it it will return the favor ( I.E. DO NOT TOW HEAVY LOADS IN OVER DRIVE! ) and treat it to a nice trans cooler and it will last forever. All in all this is an excellent SUV for the money!

Favorite Features

The Vortec 5.7 has plenty of pulling power and still gets reasonable mpg. The rear AC is a blessing for the little ones.

Love My 1999 Chevy Tahoe
By tramhue

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 2dr SUV 4WD

I can honestly say I really enjoy the reliability of my 1999 Chevy Tahoe with it's powerful 5.7 liter engine. I am a HVAC and water-proofing contractor and this truck exceeds all my expectations. I also charter fish on Lake Erie and this vehicle tows my Sea-Ray with little effort. I had to replace the fuel pump a couple years ago..and get a tune-up after 140 K miles, but let me tell Chevy cannot improve much on this vehicle.

Favorite Features

I really like that I can slow down..and put her into 4 WL or 4 WH by pushing a button. This baby has pulled much larger vehicles from the ditch with ease. Mine is equipped with rear air/heat and has an after-market 12 CD changer mounted aft with a remote for the front passengers.

Suggested Improvements

I might suggest a better way to have the copper electronic pads on the rear doors supplying power to the lights, etc. Additionally, I feel the blower/heater/AC switch assembly could be improved upon.