Used 1999 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tahoe model:

'99 Tahoe
By Shorthill

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

This has been a great truck. I keep it well maintained. There have been a few little problems with radio and dash lights but all were easily resolved.

Favorite Features

4WD! Whenever I have needed a bit more traction the 4 wheel drive has been excellent.

Suggested Improvements

Rear turn signal assemblies are weak and tend to burn up. (the plastic circuit board actually turns black) This could be made more durable.

It seems like one thing after another
By MICKITUP

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my '99 4wd in 2004 w/60,000 miles, now w/172,500 things are going wrong. 3 sets of tires(allignment, ball joints) 2 sets of rotors & brakes. I've replaced the fuel, water, & P/S pump. My battery also leaked acid & the cables melted to the battery. Flickering lights, jiggling doors, the radio turns off/on by itself ,A/C wont blow on high, 2 broken door handles. Only the driver can control the power windows (bad switch) So After owning this Tahoe for 2 1/2 years & not being able to smog it due to a leaky injector in the 5th cyl.(recalled by Chevy) the DMV won't issue plates or send me the pink until she passes smog .Regardless of all this, I'm buying a new Tahoe and will always drive a Chevy.

Favorite Features

Thanks to the 5.7L VORTEC She is a billy goat when it comes to climbing hills & pulling our 19' ski boat.The Tahoe's shorter wheelbase vs.the Suburban is great for 4x4. We never got stuck!

Suggested Improvements

Better brakes! Better switches. Better door handles. Tighter pins in doors. Make parts more accesible when replacing.

Nice truck but had problems
By jocatch

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 2dr SUV

Had for 7 years. At 24,000 miles needed a new engine because of oil consumption. At 88,000 needed a new transfer case. A few small problems like passenger side seat wouldn't slide forward and passenger door lock wouldn't work all the time. Some times passenger side seat back wouldn't lock in upright posistion.

Favorite Features

Engine had good power, the controls were laid out so it was easy to adjust without looking, style, room, interior materials, center console and center roof storage.

Suggested Improvements

Couldn't direct air conditioning vents to blow air where needed

Not the best truck
By Dennis

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought it with 65,000 miles on it. It was never used for towing or off road. We have had to replace the transmission, fuel pump/sending unit, alternator. Still have to replace A/C lines to rear A/C. They rusted. Imagine that...they are run along the inside of the frame. the blinker switch is bad, there is a sensor in the steering column that senses the speed of your turning and boosts the power steering as needed. It boosts on its own once in a while. Scary when you are driving through a curve. The 4 wheel drive service light comes on now and we already had some sensors replaced a few months ago. I cannot figure out why the transmission would fail before 100,000 miles.

Favorite Features

Comfortable ride, plenty of room. Strong engine.

Suggested Improvements

Drivetrain reliability needs improvement. Radio knobs should stay on, not fall of when touched. A/C lines should be protected from elements that cause rust/corrosion.

My Car
By charcol grey

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I just bought my Tahoe in January of this year and I would have to say that this is my best truck, suv, car I've ever had and I have had many cars (lol). I love the way it drives and the space in the rear seats. My kids have enough room for their things too. So I just want to thank Chevrolet for making my dream car.

Favorite Features

Rear seats. Space between driver and passenger. The way it looks and drives.

Suggested Improvements

None